Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

what do to with old fruit...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I didn't look at what I had when I went shopping today, and now have loads of lemons, loads of apples (which are not good for eating but would be fine for cooking or stewing), and loads of old bananas (which are the same)...

Any ideas what I could do?

Normally i'd just juice all of the apples, make banana bread (but I don't really like it), and do something like lemonade with the lemons...

But all of that seems a bit boring!

Has anyone else got any good suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    banana muffins, and apple pie/crumble
  • Options
    which is what i made yesterday and is all gone today
  • Options
    Banofee pie and some kind of apple pie/crumble/strudel and.... i dunno about the lemons, sorry!
  • Options
    Apple chutney.
  • Options
    have you got a recipe for the muffins? Chutney takes a long time to make doesn't it?
  • Options
    Chutney sits on the hob for a couple of hours, but it takes about 15 mins to prepare all the ingredients and you just bung them in the pan at the same time.
  • Options
    you can squeeze the juice of the lemons into ice cube trays and use them in cooking e.g. to flavour cous cous (defrosted).
  • Options
    Lemon Merigue Pie, bit of an arse to make, the lemon bit, but oh so worth it.
  • Options
    Crumble.
  • Options
    Crumble.

I saw an amazing recipe on Nigel Slater last week, which was savoury apple crumble.

Basically, stew the apples in butter (not sugar), then make the crumble from flour and butter and parmesan.

It looked fucking lush and I am so going to try it when I am done feeling lazy with food.
  • Options
    That sounds very calorific, but nice!

Can you freeze crumble? I think I'll make lemon curd and make meringue pie when I've got a bit more of an appetite. Could I freeze banana muffins too? If I get time I could make them tonight and take them into the girls at college tomorrow, but otherwise they'll have to keep cos I'm not eating much, hense why theres stuff going off.