Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Disinfecting piercing jewellery

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As I've had this horrible infection, I thought it best to sanitise all of my piercings and earrings. Because saline solution doesn't get rid of everything (including the bacteria that I just got an infection from), I thought that using something like milton would be a good idea.

It wasn't :(

Its ruined a load of stuff - a couple of metallic piercings, a couple of my plasticy ones, and a few others. All my expencive stuff is fine - blackline, steel, titanium and stuff.

What should I use, which is going to get stuff clean but not destroy it? I wanted to use the sterialiser we have at home, but I was asked not to because my mum uses it for stuff she's going to sell (she uses glass containers and stuff).

Comments

• Options
    Do you want stuff to clean it yourself regularly? Because you could go to your local piercers and get them cleaned. I use some cleaner I bought in a spray bottle for cuts and stuff from Boots.
  • Options
    i normally clean them with salt water once a month, and there is no local piercists that i would trust around here. Do you know the name of the stuff?
  • Options
    DO NOT use cotton wall or earbuds. they will spread and worsen infection cause of the fibres they contain getting caught behind the metals and in the wounds. your better of using a sponge and getting a clean one every time you do so.

hope this helps x
  • Options
    Boiling in a saucepan/burning with a match? I'm not very good at remembering to clean all my jewellery but that's what I use when I do.
  • Options
    gayface9 wrote: »
    DO NOT use cotton wall or earbuds. they will spread and worsen infection cause of the fibres they contain getting caught behind the metals and in the wounds. your better of using a sponge and getting a clean one every time you do so.

hope this helps x

its not the piercing itself, its the jewellery that needs cleaning. I clean my piercings with normal soap and if needed saline in an egg cup for 30 secs. Its just them jewellery needs a good soak from time to time, I have (or did until i messed them up) have a few bioplast things, but they're all gone very soft and yucky, and I'm not sure if you can boil them...
  • Options
    yes yes. i usually just give them a once over with soap and a flannel then put them in a cup of 3 tablespoons of salt in boiling water and leave for a few hours and repeat if necesarry. but as i said before, dont try and clean them with an earbud or anything llike cottonwall cause the fibres can get caught in the jewellery/screw/metal etc.

try to avoid perfumed soaps and hand wash as this usually makes jewlerry deteriorate and discolour and also makes them smell alot quicker. use unscented natural ones or stick with salt. :)
  • Options
    I needed something stronger than salt though because there are lots of bacteria which thrive in salty conditions. Maybe I should just use an antibacterial spray or something.
  • Options
    I've used Salvon concentrated liquid before to clean earrings.
  • Options
    Its just this stuff.

Attachment not found.