Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Itchy cuts?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know its my own fault they are there, and I should deal with it bla bla. I have been trying, but its becoming unbearable! I can barely touch them still as they are only 3 days old.. so obviously they are starting to heal. But any ideas to at least make it a tad more bearable?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cetirizine (Zyrtec) is good for itchy skin. Dont buy zyrtec, get the generic stuff from the supermarket.

Zyrtec - About £2.10p for 7
    Sainsburys' (i get thru a lot) 98p for 14

1 a day, or take half in the morning, half tea-time ish
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey tryingtobestrong, sorry to hear it's been so unbearable. How are they doing now, better I hope.

I imagine it's pretty common for people to experience this and have found a thread on recoveryourlife with lots of people sharing their experience and various remedies -
    http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39873

Would be interesting to hear if people think the moisturising genuinely helps or is there a risk it could be more of an irritant?
    **helen** wrote: »

Would be interesting to hear if people think the moisturising genuinely helps or is there a risk it could be more of an irritant?

if it's healed over a bit and isn't open/bleeding then a non-cosmetic type moisturiser can be quite soothing, something like E45. if it's not healed enough for that then an antiseptic cream will help cool the cuts down. if the itching is really bad and you're making them worse by scratching then cover them with a plaster/bandage until they have healed a bit more.
    i have exactly the same problem, even with fairly old cuts that are scarring :s x
    http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/nelsons-hypercal-cream_1_5317.html

Try and find some of that. It's pretty good. And you can use it as spot cream too :)
    i find that if you take a very hot bath, which will make them sting a lot, but when the pain goes away they heal quicker and you wont want to touch them at all.