Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

The Coil!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey there

Due to my pretty pathetic memory rendering me a crap candidate for the pill and my unfortunate luck with condoms I made the rather drastic decision yesterday to have a coil inserted. I'd read all the available literature both on this website and leaflets and all that sort of stuff and it seemed the best option for me. The doctor did try and talk me out of it, pointing out that as I had never been pregnant it may not be possible to get through the cervix. As it was, the pain wasn't too bad and just felt like period pain. Unfortunately, since then, the pain has increased. It still feels like period pain but just much worse. On top of that, I've been feeling constantly nauseous and faint.

I'm not all that worried about the symptoms because obviously I did expect side effects of some sort. The reason for this post is that I just want to know how long I can expect to continue feeling this shit. Is there anyone else out there who has a coil? Did you feel like this after having it fitted? How long for? What other problems can I expect? Blah de blah de blah!!

Cheers guys, love Loopi. xxx

Comments

• Options
    Hate to cause further worry Loopi, but my advice would be to get that rubbish out of you. IUD's have long been known to cause severe uterine damage in many women leading to even worse infection.

The pill is so much less brutal in the long run.
  • Options
    The pill ....

Not only do I forget to take it but my hormones are all over the place as it is. I see your point and thanks for your concern. I think that I will give it a couple of months and then decide from there what I'm gonna do.
  • Options
    Just be careful. if the pain persists for even a few days, I would seriously get that thing out before it causes something worse than merely some minor abrasions.
  • Options
    What kind of coil have you got? I had a mirena coil in for about 3 years. It hurt being inserted, and possibly felt tender for the next few days, but didnt make me nauseous or anything. Id suggest getting it checked out by your doctor or phone nhs direct 0845 4647.
    for me it was brilliant, because i didnt have to worry about it for 3years and i only got it taken out to try for a baby, you can keep them in for 5 years. it practically stopped my periods which was a real bonus. Im thinking of having another one put in actually.
    did your doctor give you painkillers afterwards?
  • Options
    Pain is subsiding .....

Hello again

I'm afraid that I can't tell you what type of coil I have as I don't know. I was hoping to have the new gynaefix(sp?) one put in but there was no-one at the clinic qualified to insert that one. I was advised to take painkillers before going (which consequently I forgot to do) and then to take them afterwards when necessary. They were really good with me and advised me that a lot of people feel nauseous and stuff immediately afterwards. I just didn't expect it to last this long. Now that I come to think about it though, I was advised that I would feel a period type pain and sometimes I do get nausea and stuff with that so maybe that should explain it.

I was also given antibiotics to take to fight any infection which can also result in these type of symptons. I figure that I shall leave it a few days before I worry anyway.

Thanks for the advice from both of you. Just for the record Clandestine, this wasn't a decision I made lightly. I do know all the risks of the coil (and possibly every other type of contraceptive) and figured that for now it's the best solution.

Fingers crossed!!

Out of interest, is there anybody else out there who has an IUD/IUS? Or has had experience of one in the past? Any guys who's girlfriends have/had them? Any advice/stories would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    apparently normal copper coils can make your periods heavier and more painful, but the mirena coil reduces your periods drastically or stops them completely as it has a small amount of progestogen actually in the coil - far less than in the contraceptive pill. I hope thats the one youve got as i found it brilliant, and as i said, im seriously thinking of getting one again
  • Options
    Hi,

Sorry to sound nasty, but i think if anybody has the coil it is a bad mistake! I have never had it, and it would be my very, very last option.

Heres the story. My mum had already has my brother and sister, she then has the coil fitted as they couldnt afford to have another child. Then after a few months my mum had very, very heavy bleeding, and a major pain in her stomach. She was taken in to hospital, only to find out she had actually gotten pregnant! Then to find out that the coil had ripped the featus (soz dont know how to spell that) in half. She had to have the baby removed (it was still alive, just. But it would have died wen it came out, if it got that far).

Well thats the story, it still hurts my mum so much. But she regrets having it done more then anything in her life.

I am not saying this will happen to everyone, and i know that the coil has improved a lot since then, but still it could happen. It would be very harsh if it did.

Bye

p.s soz to put a downer on it all!!
  • Options
    Thats awful miss K sassy, what a horrible thing to happen. I think that is one of the risks of the older style coil, although usually if a pregnancy occurs with a coil in place, it just stays there but doesnt harm the baby and comes out during the birth. still what a tragedy for your mum :( .
    Luckily the new type of coil,that i had works in other ways too so reducing the risks of what happened to your mum. It uses the hormone progestogen which is in a tiny reservoir in the body of the coil and releases it slowly, this thickens the cervical mucous to prevent sperm entering the womb, it also reduces the womb lining so its not thick enough for an embryo to implant. I think it stops the release of eggs too. Progestogen is the same hormone thats in the mini pill but since it is in a localised place, not so much of the hormone is needed as you would if the hormone was taken orally.
    Its a very effective method of contraception - far more effective than the old style copper coil. which I personally wouldnt ever have either, because of the risks and also because it makes periods heavier and more painful.