Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ucas

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
There doesn't seem to be a thread on this yet, so thought I'd get the ball rolling with a comment piece from Which?

http://conversation.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ucas-student-university-application-reforms/

What do you think of the proposed reforms? :chin:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    First of all, as an IBer, I started my exams around May 4th, and the results came out around the 6th July - so it seems it can be done. (Especially as with the IB the papers are sent around the world - so think the A-level exam boards should be able to manage it).

I think it makes a lot more sense to apply after you have the grades. Lots of my friends who took gap years and reapplied said they really valued having their grades when looking at universities. I think I would have definitely liked to do it that way round - grades were the top thing I looked at, and although I'm happy where I am, it would have been nice to have been able to make a list of places that i met the requirements for, and decide from that, rather than some long process of working out the lowest requirements and who (based on my interview performance) would be most likely to accept me if I missed my grades :P

I don't know how it would work for courses which need interviews....

Also as for the support thing - most of the support I got at school was for writing a personal statement. And this can be done before you get your results surely... as not much of it will change depending on your grades, unless you have to apply to a different course. In fact just read the article - are they losing the PS? Because I think that's a bad move.....

Other countries do it this way and I think it makes a lot more sense.
  • Options
    If it can be done logistically, it's definitely a good idea. I didn't enjoy having to apply based on predicted grades. Reducing the number of unis you apply to is also a good idea, because it can get quite expensive travelling around the country to attend open days and interviews at up to 6 unis (although I don't see why you couldn't interview over the phone or via skype).
  • Options
    Personally I think that type of idea would kill me :O Although this time next year all my uni stuff will be over and done with :D
    I think lowering the limit to 2 is a bit harsh, especially with the likes of medicine it would be cutting things fine. Plus I'm not sure how effective losing 2 weeks study time would be? Yeah, it would mean delaying the personal statement, but our school insists that it's done and handed in by the first day back from summer break, which although it puts a dampener on the summer, definitely gets it out of the way. But maybe that's just me...
  • Options
    You wouldn't need to apply to so many universities if you had actual rather than predicted grades, you'd be in a much better position to judge whether or not you would meet the entrance criteria.

I wouldn't want to be working in the admissions team though...
  • Options
    Plus I'm not sure how effective losing 2 weeks study time would be?

2 weeks out of 2 years really isn't that much, especially if everyone is in the same boat.
  • Options
    You wouldn't need to apply to so many universities if you had actual rather than predicted grades, you'd be in a much better position to judge whether or not you would meet the entrance criteria.

But with the current problems of demand outstripping supply of university places, admissions tutors would still be faced with many more people meeting the admissions criteria than available places. Two choices seems a bit low to me as well, particularly for the most popular courses.