Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How to stop moaning for chronic complainers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I feel I am one of these people...a chronic complainer. It doesn't help that i have possibly more than my fair share of crap in life, but I know people who have a much worse lot than mine, and they don't complain anywhere near as much as me. I'm starting to feel I'm a bit of a whiner, and I've had a couple of people comment on it now (things along the lines of me not having anything positive to say and just bringing everyone down).

So even when everything is shit how can you stay up beat, at least when around other people, and not complain at least as much.

It sounds awful, but sometimes I find myself without anything to say if I don't complain about something :(

Comments

• Options
    Then maybe just dont say anything?
  • Options
    There's the old adage, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't have anything at all.

If you find yourself with nothing to say other than moan, then maybe work out how you're spending your time as a starting point. Look for the simple things, my topic of conversation on Sunday was the Yorkshire puddings the canteen had with lunch - truly amazing.

Today has been truly rubbish, but the canteen had chocolate tiffin, so the answer to 'How's your day going' was 'There was chocolate tiffing at lunch, so not all bad'.
  • Options
    Today has been truly rubbish, but the canteen had chocolate tiffin, so the answer to 'How's your day going' was 'There was chocolate tiffing at lunch, so not all bad'.

Tiffin! That's what I need!

A lightbulb moment. Thank you very much. *wanders off to bake*
  • Options
    SM is right, i think you've just got to look for the good, or not so bad things about each day and then if someone asks you 'how's your week been' or 'how are you' you can then do a mini compilation of all the little good bits that have happened and it usually tips the scales on the bad :)
  • Options
    I suppose its partly because I spend a lot of time on my own, and don't really have many people to talk to full stop, so I feel like I have to voice my grievances rather than keep them under my hat, and talk about good stuff instead.

I thought it was horribly false to just have a default reply of "fine" everytime someone asks "how are you?". Maybe there is a balance between that and saying "i'm a pile of shite, how about you?".
  • Options
    There are plenty of answers that aren't fine, that are also not moaning.

The tiffin example is a good one. It was pretty much the only bit of yesterday that was good in any way at all, and to the people who were actually up for a chat about stuff it was a good give away that everything else was not fine. To the passing pleasantries, it fitted in beautifully without me feeling that I was saying fine when things weren't.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Well, first off - nice one on acknowledging this problem Miss R - tis a good step in the right direction...

Secondly, Scary Monster makes a great point about starting a conversation off identifying a small thing that's brought cheer to your day.

You might also want to consider some of the following:

If you know you're meeting some friends and it's expected to be a cheerful/fun social occasion then why not come on here, have a rant about anything that's really pushing on your chest with the aim of feeling lighter when you go to meet your offline buddies... if you tell us that's what you're doing, we won't love you any the less for it. ;)

Also, although I'd be wary of keeping totally schtum, I think there is something to be said for taking the lead from others - if you feel you're on the verge of taking a conversation down a moany route, you could turn the convo away from yourself to hear about what others have been up to and see if they have any dilemma's you can offer your fine counsel on.

I'm also aware you're pretty opinionated in an interesting way... so perhaps consider what current affairs have caught your interest lately, find something to rant about that's actually quite amusing rather than moany and start to identify what you like about yourself so that you can use this as inspiration for positive conversations -
    For instance, one example might be you're fond of your quirky style, so you could talk about what hair colour you're looking forward to having next (or something along those lines) getting opinions from others and what fashion's they're digging/hating on at the moment.

Anyhow, that's a few starters... and as before, part of the break through is acknowledging this trait for moaning, this means you're ready to take the next step. :)
  • Options
    I'm getting there I think! :)

Just finding it a bit difficult to stay positive when everyone is asking if I've found anywhere to live yet... thats something I can't stay very positive about right now. I just want to ball my eyes out whenever I think about it.
  • Options
    No one is positive all the time. I think that for every negative thing you say you should try and say two positive things. Sometimes its best to be honest with friends, well meaning friends often ask you about your prolems (whatever they may be) but if you know its just going to start off a moany, depressing conversation then say that you don't really want to talk about it at the moment. There is a time for confiding in your friends about your problems but its not all the time, light relief is just as important.
  • Options
    I'm getting fed up of constantly being in pain or having some huge issue to sort out. It feels like my life doesn't really have very many positives, asides the incidentals like having a good meal. Its really shit and wearing me down.
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I'm getting fed up of constantly being in pain or having some huge issue to sort out. It feels like my life doesn't really have very many positives, asides the incidentals like having a good meal. Its really shit and wearing me down.

Isn't this meant to be the thread where you don't moan? :D
  • Options
    No I'm trying to work out how I can stop moaning, and I'm just saying why I'm finding it difficult. Maybe I'm looking for answers that don't exist.
  • Options
    No I'm trying to work out how I can stop moaning, and I'm just saying why I'm finding it difficult. Maybe I'm looking for answers that don't exist.

There's always a positive in your day. For example, mine today, despite the fact that I feel like utter, utter crap, is that I just had a really FIT sandwich.

Some days your positive might not necessarily be a positive, but a not-negative. E.g. "My pain wasn't so bad today", or "That issue sorted itself out relatively easily".
  • Options
    I'm just saying why I'm finding it difficult.

A moan by any other name would smell as moany! :D
    Maybe I'm looking for answers that don't exist.

Your moaning in an unalterable and irreversible phenomena?
  • Options
    P.S. Ignore CCH. He likes to moan about people moaning ;)
  • Options
    P.S. Ignore CCH. He likes to moan about people moaning ;)

And you're not happy unless you're moaning! :D
  • Options
    And you're not happy unless you're moaning! :D

That's why you love meeeeeeeeeeeee :heart:
  • Options
    I would advise that you take a different perspective on life and your surroundings and see things in a new light