Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Weight Loss Plateau

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So the last time I weighed myself, I found I'd gained two pounds, though my waist hasn't really changed in the past few months, so I'm guessing maybe it's water retention, or muscle?

I recently completed training for a half marathon and have changed my training from 2-3 long runs, to 4 short runs and a long run on a weekend.

Thing is, I haven't lost weight in ages, despite calorie deficits... I've recently changed my exercise, so I run in the morning and hit the gym in the evening. I'm hoping to do 2 body pump (weights) classes and maybe 3 spin classes, rather than cross train... Will this help me bust my plateau?

Thing is, I'd like to lose another stone, as I'm training for a marathon now, but I think my body is used to running and no longer burns fat.

Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    It is possible you need to give a full on body shock, changing exersizes is always a good thing but considering you are in that zone where you can run a long distance comfortably it is maybe an idea changing things like running on an empty stomach in the mornings - if you run on an empty stomach (or rather just run with no food in there, you can drink) you will burn fat!

One idea my friend showed me was to get on a treadmill or crosstrainer and sprint as fast as your little legs will carry you for as long as possible, something you cannot sustain for a long time then work in intervals between sprinting and a slow jog, the idea is that you do not get your body into a comfort zone (you can also do the sprint on a crosstrainer if you do not want the impact on your knees)

You are on the right track if you want to mix things up a bit doing the weight pump which I assume is like circuits with weights, rotating and differing exersizes and intensity is always a good thing!

Another factor is diet, it is a good idea to have one day when you eat total crap, fat, sugar and evil stuff, again for the body shock but of course don't go too overboard! A mate of mine used to eat between 7000-9000 calories on his off day and it didn't do him any good, but if you aim for double your usual intake it will have results, especially if you are strict the rest of the time :)

Shock and awe is the name of the game when you hit that plateau!
  • Options
    have you taken measurements. maybe theyve changed even if your weight on the scales havent?
  • Options
    Yes... Only lost 1/4 to 1/2 an inch... But I am cleaning up my diet and I've laid off the beer and sweets.

I wasn't going over my calorie goal often, but I was hardly eating 100% healthy.