Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I'm gonna fail!!! :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Back to school tomorrow. I have my leaving cert this year (ireland).
Im really scared, i dont know how to study. When i try i end up just reading and nothing goes in. :'(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You cant have done too bad if you have made it this far :)

Learning also isnt necessarily about just reading something and holding onto it in your head. I bet that you know a lot more than you realise :)
    I can't recommend this book enough: link

talk to your teachers about study techniques, and how best to study for you.

Good luck!
    Thanks so much. :)
    My postgrad tutor lent me the book Miss Riot is talking about. If you do all the exercises, things get better bit by bit/
    I have that book!
    me too, i couldnt get through it
    I struggled without a tutor...I think its really best done in small chunks over a really long term (like an entire term or longer). There are still some exercises I haven't done yet.
    I don't understand, struggled without a tutor for what?
    without a dyslexia tutor going through the book was difficult at points, was what I meant...
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: PokerDott,

How did your first few days back at school go? Hope you're settling back in ok.

The book that Miss_Riot recommended sounds like it's worth checking out. We also have this really useful section on TheSite about studying and this article in particular about how to study might be worth checking out :thumb:

Everyone's different and some people find it easier than others to learn new things, so it's worth trying out different techniques to find what's best for you. Lots of people find reading alone isn't the easiest way to learn or concentrate, so could you try making notes, drawing diagrams or studying with a friend instead?

Hope school is going well,
    LauraO
    I've been back since Monday and was doing great until last night because i just found out my boyfriend of two and a half years was in a way cheating on me. :(
    But I've been doing my homework and an hour study. Il add on more time after a few weeks i just don't want to over load myself or il just lose the will power. I'm starting an after school study group which i think will help.
    I would get that book but money is really tight at the moment. Unfortunately my parents are unemployed.
    see if the school library have a copy if not ask them to get one.

Make sure you give yourself breaks when studying, and give yourself rewards and set yourself achieveble goals with your studies.

Have you talked to a teacher about it yet?
    I m gonna fail!!!-(

What I have understand about your problem is just nothing more than over anxiety.It is not like just giving up because You think that you can not do this.you sure are a good student.That is why you have made this far.Keep it mind that fear of failure will lead you to the failure.Always keep your self motivated.This sure will work.After school study group will also help.Keep it up.
This discussion has been closed.