Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

U.S. invasion of Iraq?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I was referring to the NATO bombardment 2 years ago..

I know you arent ignorant enough to think that was the entirety of the yugoslav wars...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

I know you arent ignorant enough to think that was the entirety of the yugoslav wars...

Opinions vary... ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Thanatos...AGAIN

Opinions vary... ;)

Now now...
  • Options
    I said recent conflicts, not those that happened many decades ago, and I was obviously referring to those in which both the US and other Western forces were involved. So 90% of that list is completely irrelevant to this argument.

Again, I repeat that you have a very limited and twisted concept of history. 10 years isn't recent by historic standards, it's TODAY! Maybe we should only look at what happens this week?

The problem with having a board focused on teenagers...too many think anything that happened before they were born is of no importance...
  • Options

I said recent conflicts, not those that happened many decades ago, and I was obviously referring to those in which both the US and other Western forces were involved. So 90% of that list is completely irrelevant to this argument. …
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Again, I repeat that you have a very limited and twisted concept of history. 10 years isn't recent by historic standards, it's TODAY! Maybe we should only look at what happens this week?

The problem with having a board focused on teenagers...too many think anything that happened before they were born is of no importance...

Roger that.

However, those who shape the policies and events of the world are seldom the teenages with the short attention span, and shorter memory.
  • Options
    RE: Gulf War- It's a good thing if motivated by the wrongful invasion of one nation by another and the human right abuses perpetrated by the aggressor. Was this really the case? One is tempted to think that if there was no oil in the area Kuwait would now be Iraq's 19th province.

Is there something wrong with this then?

Would you have preferred that Kuwait was left to rot? Or are you suggesting that we shouldn't have got involved there, because we don't in other places?

Should the US/UK get involved in every dispute?
  • Options
    If they intervened for humanitarian reasons, then they should do so in all countries where serious human right abuses are perpetrated, or any time one country has unlawfully invaded another- cherry picking is simply not acceptable.

If, however, they intervened because they were just protecting their own interests, they should at least come clean and stop bothering the rest of the world with their moralistic lecturing every time they choose to bomb a country or invade another.
  • Options
    If they intervened for humanitarian reasons, then they should do so in all countries where serious human right abuses are perpetrated,

When you consider that the death penalty is considered to be a human rights abuse, the US really has little moral stand there ;)
    or any time one country has unlawfully invaded another- cherry picking is simply not acceptable.

Why not?

If the US gets involved, the left wing criticises - if they don't, the left wing says "why aren't you doing anything?"

Remember that there are other countries around, who could support the US, but many don't. Surely rather than expecting the US to always intervene we should ask why other countries don't
    If, however, they intervened because they were just protecting their own interests, they should at least come clean and stop bothering the rest of the world with their moralistic lecturing every time they choose to bomb a country or invade another.

They need public support. Simple as that. Can you imagine the uproar in 1991 if they had said "We're going into Kuwait so that we can line the pockets of Esso/Shell/BP"?

The fact that Iraq was an aggressor meant that the public could support the action, in which the oil supply was a part but not the whole.
  • Options
    If they intervened for humanitarian reasons, then they should do so in all countries where serious human right abuses are perpetrated, or any time one country has unlawfully invaded another- cherry picking is simply not acceptable.

Why not? The UN does it...

The USA cant possibly intervene in every dodgy country on earth, they simply dont have the manpower or finances. They have to pick and choose. They have to choose those they can help and put those people ahead of those they cant.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

The USA cant possibly intervene in every dodgy country on earth, they simply dont have the manpower or finances. They have to pick and choose. They have to choose those they can help and put those people ahead of those they cant.

US gets tired of getting drug into everyone else's dispute. Not happy with "meals on wheels" programs. Somalia was a humanitarian deployment that got ugly when a warlord decided to appropriate for himself, and let the civilians fend for themselves.

Where we have a national interest, we get involved.

Not enjoyable playing the world's policeman AND charity organization. We get involved to forestall the eventuality of another of those world wars we got drug into... THAT is our national interest. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Americans aren't angels, israelians aren't angels, Saddam isn't an angel...
    I think that US everytime that there is something to have(oil, other) is always first... other times, when it haven't interest, wait so much... when iraq attacked Kuwait, the day after they was there.. when Israel taken other lands with the force where was US? where is today US? one example for all...
    why every 10-15 years US need to fight with someone?
    cause in this way its gun's factories can work so much?
  • Options
    Marcos, it also maintains a combat experienced % of troops in our military...so, some POS country that might otherwise not have an interesting product, oil, etc., may get our loving attention just to keep the percentages up.

The countdown is on...month and a half until the B-2's start their egg runs over Bagdad...soon to be beautiful glass bottomed Lake Bagdad...let the escivation begin...:

Preticted/able date is September 11, 2002, at the crack of dawn over Iraq...a lovely glow will contain the region for a few days but the 11th will be particularally spectacular...with an after glow to die for!

Ahhhh...technology! Guidance from the stratosphere and down the chimneys discuized as minorets...every royal palace, every factory, every military instilation, everything that 'was' Iraq...and soon thereafter the Kurds will rule over 'greater Kurdistan' with the same loving care and benovilence they receiver from the sad man of Bagdad...make that Lake Bagdad after the 11th!

:eek:
  • Options
    Marco Napoli,

Shall we also mention that Italy is the worlds largest manufacturer and distributor of LAND MINES.

Pietro Berretta is a leading arms supplier to the militaries of the world.
  • Options
    who put USA and UK as a police to allthe world, why they keep interfering with other nations fat, I am not defending Iraqi side or government - I personally wish to replace Saddam-,in the other side we see that both USA and UK keeping support Israel, wht ever they do with Palestiniens, you feel that there is a double standards, while they insist to apply UN resolutions agains Iraqi side while USA raise the VITO against any resolution against Israel. I think this is unfair.
  • Options
    Israel is trying to defend itself against terrorist attacks. The USA and the UK will agree with their actions because we've been on the recieving end, and we know how important it is to try and destroy those killing our civilians.

The Isaelis have repeatedly tried to negotiate, to begin peace talks e.t.c. but the palestinians keep blowing them up. In my opinion if the Palestinians refuse to negotiate then they deserve everything get.

As for UN sanctions against the Iraqis, maybe when and if Saddam decides to stop making weapons of mass destruction and removes himself from power we won't be forced to destroy his country.
    Anyone see his little speech of defiance? I bet he's shitting himself.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Murph the Surf
    Marco Napoli,

Shall we also mention that Italy is the worlds largest manufacturer and distributor of LAND MINES.

Pietro Berretta is a leading arms supplier to the militaries of the world.
    yes it's true, but you fight a war with guns and LAND MINES?
    and all the other weapon?
    Italy haven't atomic weapon...
    we are nearly all for peace... we are tired of war... in europe there are war from 2000 before Christ...
    if i remember good in 1945 US use atomic weapon on Japan.. to not speak about other things.. here in europe i haven't see a war cause i'm young, but i listen my grandfather, my grandmother, my father, my mother and all old people and a war isn't good thing...
    US have never combat in his territory and the most of American don't know how mean that... or not?
    I respect all the soldier and all the people died in a war or similar(like cursed 11 semptember)cause they die in the war often without a right reason... but i can't to agree with incoherent, by my point of view, with american politics...
    why US, the most powerful nation of the world, and
    on the end i ask you: why?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Israel is trying to defend itself against terrorist attacks. The USA and the UK will agree with their actions because we've been on the recieving end, and we know how important it is to try and destroy those killing our civilians.

The Isaelis have repeatedly tried to negotiate, to begin peace talks e.t.c. but the palestinians keep blowing them up. In my opinion if the Palestinians refuse to negotiate then they deserve everything get.

As for UN sanctions against the Iraqis, maybe when and if Saddam decides to stop making weapons of mass destruction and removes himself from power we won't be forced to destroy his country.
    yes israel want defend the land token with force in 1967...
    if a new state take land from GB or US with force what they do?
    i'm not agree with Israelians and Palestinians, i'm for the right...
    but i don't understand why Israel kill 15 civilians to kill one terrorist when the situation go to be for peace.. they are the same of Palestinians...and i'm surprise also about this: like all we know israelians have endured the most bad persecutionof history.. why they do the same with Palestinians?
  • Options
    Originally posted by killer
    who put USA and UK as a police to allthe world, why they keep interfering with other nations fat, I am not defending Iraqi side or government - I personally wish to replace Saddam-,in the other side we see that both USA and UK keeping support Israel, wht ever they do with Palestiniens, you feel that there is a double standards, while they insist to apply UN resolutions agains Iraqi side while USA raise the VITO against any resolution against Israel. I think this is unfair.
    yes... right
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

what about Palestinian civilians, why every thing is allowed to Israel to do with Plastinians , why Israeli committed many massacres agains Palestinans, aren't Palestinas civilians humans or animals by your view or Israeli view.
    if we agree with you that there are terrorist attacks by some Palestinians - although i do not agree with this because they defend them self and protect themselves- but issume this. why Israili using F16 agains inocent children and women.before 2 days..isn't that a state terrorisim. There are many evidences that shows killing of civilian Palestinians by Israel...
  • Options

what about Palestinian civilians, why every thing is allowed to Israel to do with Plastinians , why Israeli committed many massacres agains Palestinans, aren't Palestinas civilians humans or animals by your view or Israeli view.
    if we agree with you that there are terrorist attacks by some Palestinians - although i do not agree with this because they defend them self and protect themselves- but issume this. why Israili using F16 agains inocent children and women.before 2 days..isn't that a state terrorisim. There are many evidences that shows killing of civilian Palestinians by Israel...

oh...yes:( :(:(
    why?
  • Options
    Guys, this has been discussed here many times.

Israel had tried to offer peace, had it thrown back in their faces and then had to face suicide bombs targetted at women and children.

Now while I don't condone bombing in such a manner as we have seen in the past coupld or days, you cannot really blame them, can you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Guys, this has been discussed here many times.

Israel had tried to offer peace, had it thrown back in their faces and then had to face suicide bombs targetted at women and children.

Now while I don't condone bombing in such a manner as we have seen in the past coupld or days, you cannot really blame them, can you?
    from 35 years that Israeli have taken the land with force...
    it's right for you? today i condone all two... but on the start i condone only israeli...IT'S NOT RIGHT!!!!
    you have never thought why people give their life to kill other people?
    you have never ask to yourself?
  • Options
    it's very difficult situation.. it's not simple to find who have good reason, probably all two, probably nobody but a nation can't have freedom removing it at another nation....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Marco Napoli

from 35 years that Israeli have taken the land with force...
    it's right for you? today i condone all two... but on the start i condone only israeli...IT'S NOT RIGHT!!!!
    you have never thought why people give their life to kill other people?
    you have never ask to yourself?

Taken the land? You mean conquered the land in counter-attacks after they were attacked, don't you? Not right? Sorry, it's how most peoples came to be on the land they live on, including yours.
  • Options

Read the Charter. That's the way it is.
  • Options
    That land (West Bank, Gaza, Golan Heights and parts of Jerusalem) is not Israeli. The US agrees, the UN agrees, even most of the people in Israel, including those in government, agree. It's the delay in ending the illegal occupation of Palestine, the abuses, murders and humiliations subjected on the Palestinians on a daily basis for the last few decades and the illegal settlements that perpetuate the violence.
  • Options
    That land (West Bank, Gaza, Golan Heights and parts of Jerusalem) is not Israeli. The US agrees, the UN agrees, even most of the people in Israel, including those in government, agree. It's the delay in ending the illegal occupation of Palestine, the abuses, murders and humiliations subjected on the Palestinians on a daily basis for the last few decades and the illegal settlements that perpetuate the violence.

and why did Israel take that land?

Like I said, I don't condone what they do, but I understand why they do it. Imagine being surrounded by people who have sworn to wipe your country off the face of the earth, and then consider your reaction when those people invade you and having failed then try to use terror tactics instead.

The attacks on Israel have existed for longer than Israel had occupied those territories...
  • Options
    The reality, regardless of what Sharon's apologists will tell us, is that today (and for the last few years, for that matter) no one bar Iraq is seeking to destroy Israel. Aside from their nuclear capability, their better equipped army would have no problem dealing with Syria should they try anything funny (not that Syria would anyway). So the return of the Golan Heights is well overdue. As for Palestine itself, Israel has no reason whatsoever to continue the Occupation. The Palestinians have no army to speak of so there is no military reason there. As for the suicide bombings of civilians, it is the very Occupation that is provoking people to do it. Many of Sharon's cronies, a nasty bunch of ultra-right wing fundamentalist zionists, ultimately want to retake Palestine for good. One suspects that's what has been in Sharon's mind all along as well. That's why they won't go.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Taken the land? You mean conquered the land in counter-attacks after they were attacked, don't you? Not right? Sorry, it's how most peoples came to be on the land they live on, including yours.
    yes...... really Israeli people live on that territory?.. so that territory was Israeli?.. it wasn't Israeli and it isn't Israeli...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Marco Napoli

yes...... really Israeli people live on that territory?.. so that territory was Israeli?.. it wasn't Israeli and it isn't Israeli...

Actually, Israeli people do live on that land, or at least some of it.

And Marco, how do you think your ancestors got the land you live on? The took it from someone else. Maybe you should give it back. :rolleyes:

And really Aladdin, who are you to decide what a nation should do and when? Those lands are only called the "occupied territories" because Israel agreed to call them that. And they might be returned, to their previous owners, only their previous owners don't want them. Seems that they had to evict the current residents after those same "Palestinians" attempted to overthrow the gov'ts of their nations.

As for the silly assertion that no one except Iraq is calling for the destruction of Israel, I suggest you do a little further research. Actions speak far louder than words. Nor do I see you posting anything that makes me think you are qualified in any way to evaluate military matters, so I won't even bother to correct your ignorance relating to the relative military strengths in the region.
This discussion has been closed.