Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Contraception/The Coil

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just wondered whether any ladies have had any experiences with this...good/bad/awesome?

i like the idea of it because if i understand correctly theres no hormones involved its literally the copper of it that stops pregnancy but what puts me off is that I've heard its painful getting it inserted, it can give you heavier periods and also the fact that something is just inside you all the time creeps me out a bit. what if it gets lost? :|

also if you wanted to just sort of sit down with somebody and talk about all available forms of contraception and what would be best for you who would you do that with? i didnt think it'd be the doctor but is it a nurse or something?

Comments

• Options
    My mum had one, and had 2 ectopic pregancies because of it.

I've been adviced to try the mirena which is meant to be safer, and has a small amount of progestrone which seems to work better for a lot of people (and it doesn't get affected by taking st johns wort or antibiotics or anything like that).

I gave the FPA (family planning association) helpline a go, they were very helpful - 0845 122 8690

They also have a online thing to help you look at the options - http://www.fpa.org.uk/helpandadvice/mycontraceptiontool

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    i have one. It was more uncomfortable than painful having it put in, more like a sharp scratch for a few seconds (5 max) then done. My periods did get heavier but seem to have settled again. I would have another copper one.

Like Miss Riot said, there are certain risks for things and Ectopic pregnancy seems to be one of them, but there are risks with most contraceptions for a variety of things and doesn't mean it will happen to you. I had mine done at the local Brooke place, but spoke to someone recently at a family planning walk in about having it out and a new one put in (i was told it would need replacing after 5years but apparently that was wrong and it's 10years), so two different options there, also some Doctors Surgeries do them too.
  • Options
    thanks you two that was very helpful :) especially that online thing to choose which form of contraception is best. I think I might be leaning more towards the implant now, has anybody had any experiences with it?
  • Options
    I had it, it was good, no side effects asides the fact that they didn't check if I was preganant when they inserted it (which I was and thus misscarried), and that I had little cysts on my ovaries, but thats normal and not in anyway harmfull... stopped my periods completely, which was good for me.
  • Options
    My sister had the implant and put on a lot of weight. But that's a risk with any hormone treatment, I think.
  • Options
    i wasnt an implant fan, it made me incredibly mood swingy and it seems to have the same affect on someone else i know that has had it, its made her very moody. Another friend who has it has very frequent periods, to the point of getting hardly any time off them. Doesn't happen to everyone though, side effects are very individual and not everyone gets them, best to just take possible side effects on board but not worry about them.
  • Options
    I have the mirena coil fitted. Had it since January and its great. I was worried about it having the hormone in it as i had alot of problems with the pill. But i wouldnt know and apparently its a very small local dose.
    Best contraception ever!
    I won't lie it did hurt to get it put in but id do it again tommorow for peace of mind...
  • Options
    Oooh! I read an article about this today, actually :)
    I haven't been on it myself (a friend did though, and she was ok- didn't put too much weight on either, I know that can be a side effect of the hormones).. Not sure about the implant, though, quite a few people I know have had it and it made them dead moody, and they put weight on.. Plus, the idea of a thing sticking in your arm really freaks me out!! :O

Anyway, the article I read was about how the coil might be able to lower the risk of cervical cancer- very good indeed!

The link is here: http://www.thelifedept.co.uk/livelonger/footer-featured-b/contraceptive-coil-halves-the-risk-of-cervical-cancer/

Hope I'm allowed to post links :confused: I just thought it was topical :)

Anyway, good luck with your chosen contraceptive! :D xxx
  • Options
    Just had mine fitted, make sure you have someone to take you home and take painkillers beforehand...
  • Options
    i had the mirena and i hated it! Every time i had sex we could both feel it, not sexy at all.
  • Options
    You could feel your coil? Never heard of that before. Where could you feel it?
  • Options
    I went off both those ideas and started the pill yesterday instead :) hope it agrees with me...