Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Personal Statements!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
This is making me all panicy and stressed. I can't write one! I was supposed to have written a draft in June but every time I try my words just don't work properly.

I've read loads of guides about how to do it, and example ones of other people's work, but I just can't do it! The example ones just sound shit and boring.

I can't write about myself unless it's telling stories, which obv isn't appropriate. Also, they're saying that we shouldn't be putting extracurricular things on, like orchestra and photography, but 'supracurricular' things on, that are relevant. But I haven't done anything relevant to the degree I want to do (French & Spanish) apart from school exchanges and watching films.

Please can someone give me some sensible advice about how to do it, or just say something helpful?

I'm tempted to throw away seven years of private education to become a crack dealer.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can you write about how the films you've watched have shaped your interest in language and culture?
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I do French and German at uni; in mine I wrote about how I became interested in languages - in my case through my mother learning it at home and how she would walk around the house reciting word lists/verbs and how it made me want to study languages. Aside from that, I think I just babbled on. And definitely DID talk about extracurricular activities...
    Yeah - I definitely don't agree with the not putting extracurricular stuff on. It helps show that you're a rounded person and that you have interests OUTSIDE of what you want to study.

Think about why you want to study the subjects you have chosen, and what in your life so far (exchanges / other experiences) have shaped this. Then think about why the university should want you. Maybe form a plan, and write points under headings. I think my plan was something along the lines of:
    -why i want to study the subject
    -stuff about me, skills, qualities, extracurricular stuff, how it makes me good :P
    -work experience, things i've learned, and stuff i've observed (probs not necessary for yours tbh)
    -final WHAM few sentences

Always back up what you say and don't just list stuff. For example in mine, instead of just putting "I spent a week in a hospital for work experience" I've put, I did THIS for work experience, I learned a lot about THIS and developed skills in THIS, therefore I think many of these qualities/skills will be useful in a future career. (or something like that).

I know it kind of sucks, but it really is worth putting the time and effort into it.

Although mine is for medicine, if you want to read it through then I can dig it out and PM it to you, just let me know. I'm also more than happy to have a read through of yours if you want when you've done a bit more :) Get as many people as possible to read it (teachers especially) but remember that at the end of the day that ultimately it is yours, so don't change anything you don't want to :)

Let me know if I can help at all, good luck.
    katralla wrote: »
    Can you write about how the films you've watched have shaped your interest in language and culture?

I watched Marcel Pagnol's Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources which were weird, don't know if you've seen them?

I think if I was writing your personal statement I'd probably end up ranting how I think it is really bad that here in England we don't learn a second language sooner, as most of the people in the world are at least bilingual and we live in our little bubble here with a lot of people expecting people abroad to cater for our needs when we go visit....
    be sure to put some kind of naff anicdote at the start, they love that. also mention what you hope to gain from the degree, what your particular interests are within the subject, what books you have been inspired by etc. it might also be good to say why you think learning languages is so important and how you want to contribute to the discipline. don't lie but exaggerate if you need to.
    Number one tip from when I used to run personal statement writing workshops.

IF you're really struggling to get the thing written, pick any one of the basic templates (YellowSeaHorses one about is good), and splurge down your version of it. It doesn't need to be good, it doesn't need good punctuation, and it doesn't need to flow.

Just get something down onto the page, that's at least half a page long.

Then you've got something to work with and get people to give you input on.

As for extra curricular stuff, don't mention it as a 'look at what I've done' list. Put in as much as you like in a way that supports your application. You watch films - great, what's one of your favourites? You do ballet - great, through that and studying you've learnt time management, discipline, and the importance of regular practise which applies to learning a language just as much as dance.

Write something, that's the hard bit. After that, making it good is much easier.
    French and Spanish - that's what I should have done! Good choice.

Do put things like orchestra, if you think it's relevant, I'm not sure why you were advised not to.

As the others said, talk about how school trips and films have influenced your choice. What do you love about the countries, the cultures? Is it Paris in the Springtime or Almodovar's mental nuns? Why?
    Thinking about it, the reason I thought I want to do that course is because I don't know what else to do, which is a shit reason for going to university. I think I'm going to put it off for a couple of years until I really know what I want to and can make my own decisions.
    Doing a degree and getting a 'proper job' as a translator or at a bank or something just because my parents and teachers are pushing me into it isn't sensible.
    Do you think I'm making the right decision if I decided to move out, get a flatshare and a job, and see what happens, rather than rush into uni which I'm not really sure I want to do?
    I think you should go to uni, if only to put off getting a job longer... Maybe pick a topic that you really want to do, and see if you can garner more interest in it that way, rather than ditching the idea of uni altogether.

I started my degree on the advice of someone older and wiser. Had no idea what I would do with it. Changed subject a few times too. Finished and wondered if I'd wasted my time and money. Now it's really coming in handy, given me skills and experiences that are personally and career useful, and landed me a job I didn't even apply for but was created for me partly on the strength of the random degree I did.

I wasn't sure about it before I went, while I was there, and even immediately afterwards but I'm glad I let someone persuade me to do it, and persuade me to finish. I also now have a long term career direction that wasn't on my radar before I went to uni.
    If you're in your last year of 6th form, and you're not sure what you want to do at the moment then absolutely definitely make sure you make a strong application to university.

That way you keep your options open. Applying doesn't commit you to going, but you have to apply like you mean it.

Move out, get a job, get a flatshare, all sounds very simple - the reality is very different.
    Hi I've had an epiphany and now I'm applying to Oxford. I've written a personal statement, and I'm trying to get lots of people to read and criticise it. Is there anyone on here who I could send it to and would be able to give me some feedback?
    Post it here, I'll look, so will some others.
    I will :)
    i don't want to post it online because it'll get picked up by the anti plagiarism software. can i pm it to you both please?
    Yup, go ahead :)
    yup and Piccolo too.
    Hi Grace

Sorry very little time atm!

Just wondering - are you applying for other places apart from Oxford? It would be great if you were..... (and you have nothing to lose by applying to others).

When I do get round to feedback do you want it written here? (I thought it might be useful to see what other people say - obviously without C+Ping bits to keep it off the net). Or do you want it PMed?
    Hi Grace

Sorry very little time atm!

Just wondering - are you applying for other places apart from Oxford? It would be great if you were..... (and you have nothing to lose by applying to others).

When I do get round to feedback do you want it written here? (I thought it might be useful to see what other people say - obviously without C+Ping bits to keep it off the net). Or do you want it PMed?

Yes I'm applying to UCL and maybe Manchester as well. I'm almost certain I'll get into UCL because I've got quite a lot higher than the required grades. Probably won't get into Oxford but I thought I'd give it a go just in case.

Writing it here is fine, if you think it would be helpful for other people writing their statements.

Thank you to everyone that's helped :)
    grace wrote: »
    Yes I'm applying to UCL and maybe Manchester as well. I'm almost certain I'll get into UCL because I've got quite a lot higher than the required grades. Probably won't get into Oxford but I thought I'd give it a go just in case.

Writing it here is fine, if you think it would be helpful for other people writing their statements.

Thank you to everyone that's helped :)

I went to both UCL and Oxford. Both excellent. Did you get my PM?
    I went to UCL. I still had to do an interview though, they don't just go on grades.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I went to UCL. I still had to do an interview though, they don't just go on grades.

UCL, back in our day, would interview everyone as policy.
    Agghhh it said I might have to take an interview when I looked at the prospectus but then I also remember reading that post A level students probably wouldn't have to. If I do have to take one I'm never going to get in because I come across awfully in person.
    I've finished my application and sent it off. Fingers crossed. I hope I get in because if I have to spend another year like this I'm going to go mad.
    Everything crossed for you, what an achievement! To do that without school support and the like is huge, don't underestimate that.
    I have my mlat test for oxford tomorrow. It's a french exam and then a spanish one right after. I've been trying to revise but french and spanish and english have just become one giant mixed up language in my head so I don't know how well it's going to go. i have unconditional places at leeds and leicester though, haven't heard from ucl or kings college or oxford yet.
    I have my mlat test for oxford tomorrow. It's a french exam and then a spanish one right after. I've been trying to revise but french and spanish and english have just become one giant mixed up language in my head so I don't know how well it's going to go. i have unconditional places at leeds and leicester though, haven't heard from ucl or kings college or oxford yet.

Good luck!

Well done on Leeds + Leicester - both are fantastic unis, heard lots of good things about them :)

Congratulations! Leeds and Leicester are excellent universities.
    You've done extremely well grace. good work.
    Thank you :) The french half went very well, the spanish half went appallingly. Hopefully it'll balance out...
    I'm a Leeds lass :) It's a brilliant uni, spesh for languages!