Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Moving & Scotland

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I thought you guys could so all my thinking for me.

I moving to Scotland for at least a year, maybe more. Currently living at home, greater london ish, so will be a nice big change.

Plan is to stay on a friends sofa for the first two weeks while I look for somewhere to live, then I'm away for 2 weeks, then I've got a bit of holiday to do the actually moving thing.

So - tips and advice please on the following:

What I need to take for first two weeks - flying there, and staying in someones house, also starting new job and looking for house in this time.

What to look for when looking for somewhere to live for the next year - shared house or solo renting.

I haven't actually worked out what I'm doing, as in sharing or renting my own place. So any thoughts on that too.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think for the first two weeks you probably just need to pack like your going on two week business trip - the only thing I can think you might need extra is any stuff that might be useful with househunting - for example bills, bank statements, passport etc.

I would probably go for a room in a shared house to start with ideally with a short agreement of maybe 6 months, that will give you a chance to get to know people if you dont' knwo that many and work out where you want to live and how you get on with living with people or know you definately want to live on your own.
    Cheers.

I've never done the standard house hunting thing before - so knowing what I need for that is useful. Also, what is it worth looking out for when looking at places?
    Damp, what the neighbours are like, how safe the area is, how central it is to the ameneties which you might need and to get to work if you can't drive.

If you looking at a shared house, what the other people in it are like and what types of jobs they do (if they are students you might end up being liable for paying all of the council tax and annoyed by late nights early mornings). Do they have any house rules, how do they split bills, sort out the bathroom rota in the morning.

You might also want to consider asking around at work as there may be others in a similar situation.

If I am guessing right about where your moving to then there are some really nice streets round the back of the highstreet area which are quiet but close to everything.
    Where in Scotland are you moving to - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aviemore or the Outer Hebrides?

Getting accommodation & employment will be different depending on where you're going.
    What I need to take for first two weeks - flying there, and staying in someones house, also starting new job and looking for house in this time.

You might need guarantor details for rent or references from previous landlords, if you have any?

Good luck with the move! :)
    As Wyetry probably guessed, it's Aberdeen. Employment I have, that's why I'm moving. No previous landlords (hence being clueless), but will be working for a locally well known company who I can get financial references from if needed.
    I lived in Aberdeen for a few years. I stayed in town and up near the Berryden Retail park. Both had their benefits and downsides. However, a quick warning if you;re going to be relying on the bus network be prepared to be let down a lot. First Aberdeen are a blooming nightmare. Busses constantly late!
    How will you be making money while you're there? I don't think I'd enjoy shared housing personally, but it's obviously the cheaper option. Renting alone is crazy expensive, although I'm probably letting my London prices skew judgments.

You should use the first couple of weeks getting to grips with the area and working out where you want to base yourself. You definitely don't want to make a bad decision about living somewhere that's disconnected from where you're gonna need to be.

Either way though, just go with it and enjoy yourself.

I moved to Thailand for 8 months earlier this year. I didn't know anybody out there, or even speak the language, but had the time of my life. Who needs planning, right?