Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Chris Jeffries/Jo Yeates

Chris Jeffries the "Mad professor" accused of Jo Yeates' murder has won a victory over the media, along with the Sun and Mirror being fined seperately for contempt of court.

Hopefully these sort of consequences for papers that carry out these character assasinations are a sign of things to come.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14342766

Well done Mr Jeffries.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hopefully this will make papers think twice before reporting this type of thing...
    I don't know if it's true that papers make more money from out and out slander than they are fined on occasion. I similarly don't know if it's actually the case that Rebekah Brooks being friends with Sara Payne rules out the possibility that she could have known Payne's phone had been hacked. It may be that, in the words of Nathan from 'Misfits', 'That just makes it worse!!'
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Hopefully these sort of consequences for papers that carry out these character assasinations are a sign of things to come.

7 of the 8 newpapers, paying damages in this case, also had to pay damages to Robert Murat after they accused by him of kidnapping McCann. So... erm... no, they won't learn anything.
    No doubt you're right, pity they don't increase the fines.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    No doubt you're right, pity they don't increase the fines.

Front page apologies, huge headlines, *everytime* they do something like this would be a start.