Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rsi

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm pretty sure I am developing it...

I'm getting achey hands in work, a dull throbbing... They feel stiff and often weak. Man I don't even wanna type much more because I feel like they have ages disproportionately than the rest of me... Some nights they just ache like a slag.

Pooooo :impissed:

How much should your hands be in pain before going to a doctor, I hardly ever go.

What treatment can I get?

(Oh, I have hypermobile joints, which I know makes wear n tear worse)

Comments

• Options
    I don't think there is much a doctor can do. I've had it before and nothing was done. Actually, they said it was more like pulled ligaments or something.
  • Options
    Hrm... Maybe I can get a doctor's note and then work can gimme a helpful keyboard.
  • Options
    When I had it, I was told to take aspirin for a few days and take breaks.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: Namaste,

There's a good article on TheSite about RSI, so if you havent seen it already it's worth checking out. It's got some info about the treatment available.

:yes: a trip to the doctors sounds like a good idea if it's causing you pain. There isnt a level of pain you have to be in to see a doctor, if it's causing you discomfort then it's worth going, after all that's what they are there for :) They might be able to give you some exercises to do or may be able to refer you to a physiotherapist.

It also sounds like a sensible idea to speak to someone at work about it. Have you got an HR department or similar that is responsible for health & safety and employees' wellbeing? They should be able to make reasonable adjustments to make sure you are comfortable whilst working e.g. buying you the keyboard you mention, and may even be able to give you time off for a docs appointment especially considering it is working that has caused the complaint in the first place.

Let us know how you get on,
    LauraO
  • Options
    Mr Kaff was diagnosed with RSI in his hands and wrists last year - he's an IT type, so uses the computer all day everyday, which was causing it.

The doc prescribed him some painkillers and gave him some info about healthy working positions and whatnot. His work have been really good about it and provided him with an ergonomic mouse and keyboard to use that has improved his symptoms to the point where he doesn't even need the painkillers anymore.

I'd definitely go to the docs, and also talk to your employer. It's better to try and catch things like this early, then they are easier to fix.
  • Options
    Spoke to line manager today... Basically, if I can get a diagnosis, somebody will come and check my desk top or I may get a keyboard, it depends on the type of pain...

The lines are constantly down for the doctor atm... I am gonna give it a week and see how I feel...

If I have to wear those gloves, I am so punking 'em up with some studs :p
  • Options
    Do you have a gel wrist rest thing for your keyboard and mouse?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Do you have a gel wrist rest thing for your keyboard and mouse?

Yep.

I am double jointed in my fingers tho, which may make it worse.