Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

1 Billion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
IT consultants Gartner Dataquest reported that sales of home PC's reached the one billion mark in April of this year. If the current rate of sales continues, another billion will be in the hands of Joe Public by 2008.

Surely there this sort of expansion and growing numbers can't keep going?! The scary thing is these figures don't include PC's built by users etc - only the ones sold.

Comments

• Options
    Its not that hard to believe is it?

More and more things are becoming automated by computer and more businesses are turning to computers to do each of the tasks required... as well as with the current speed increases of machines people are needing to replace them every few years :)

Its kind of like cars in a sense, there are now record numbers of people driving and these figures are likely to continue to rise :)
  • Options
    Exactly. With business's using more and more machines and with computers becoming more and more affordable to more people for home use. I wouldn't be surprised if kids with internet access were officially found to be at an advantage because of the sheer amount of information at their fingertips. Then there's the word processing etc. School was a contributing factor in buying my family's first PC (but then so was Unreal Tournament :D)

It will slow down eventually - it's gotta.
  • Options
    To be honest nowadays I don't think you live without a computer by your side, and i'd say that another billion would be sold even sooner than that.