Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Weight loss

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is the best and effective way to reduce our weight...? If anyone have any idea about it then please reply me...Your suggestions will be appreciated.. Thanks in advance..!

Comments

• Options
    eat less and exercise more
  • Options
    You bet me too it.

Eat less shit. Sit on the sofa less.
  • Options
    Hi Broad66 :wave:,

It can be very difficult and frustrating to lose excess weight you have!, its true what Suzy has said to lose weight you need to be cutting down on how much you are eating, and doing more excercise or becoming more active. There also some slimming groups that have some quite good eating plans to follow such as weight watchers or slimming world and you get the added group support of others too ! I will add some information on Healthy eating for you to have a look through.
    I hope this has helped and please keep posting to let us know how you are getting on.

Take care
    B:thumb:
  • Options
    The best and most effective way is to burn more calories per day than you consume.

Food First: There are several ways to sort out your diet, the first thing to do is learn what is good for you if you don't know already - get a basic book from the library.

Write down what you eat one day, every little thing you eat no matter what it is, then do it again and you can get a good estimate of how many calories you consume on a daily basis. Then choose the worst thing on the list (be it a mars bar, crisps, bacon butty for breakfast) and remove it, replace it with fruit like apples, bananas or whatever.

Work down the list taking out all the shite and replacing it with something that is not as bad and before long you will be eating healthy stuff then slowly reduce your portions - buying smaller plates helps hugely!

Beef Time: Exercise is a bitch to start with, it can be very very daunting taking those first few steps and it is embarrassing for the first few goes; everyone who has ever started to do exercise started somewhere and realized how run down they were.

A good 4 months ago I jogged for the first time in my entire life, I ran around a football pitch then fainted, my friend woke me up pouring water on my head.
    The next day I ran around it, rested then ran around it again.
    The day after I did it twice with no break.
    Now I can do it six times with no rest, then three more times after!

This holds true for any exercise you do, you will be able to do double then triple easily, and when you feel faint and hyperventilate and sweat like a boar and feel like your muscles are on fire you are burning fat like no tomorrow!

If you don't feel ready to go out and exercise in public you can do it at home very simply by jogging on the spot (get your knees up and work your arms) and the good old Jumping Jacks

Bear in mind that if you have a lot of fat and you weigh a lot that every minute of exercise you do burns off more calories and gives you more benefit than a skinny guy - you have the advantage, so show yourself what you can do!
  • Options
    If you sit an office desk all day don't load up on carbs, you don't need 'em.

Exercise.

Don't eat shit that's clearly bad for you: coke, crisps, chocolate.

Make burgers, pizzas, kebabs and all that shit a rare treat.

Cut down your beer intake - switch to whiskey or wine. It'll make your more interesting and slimmer.
  • Options
    Know your patterns, the negative cycles where you end up eating or binging, or when you are forced in situations where you 'cant' resist'. I go to the gym 4 times a week and when I go I only take my gym member card and not my wallet, I realised that on the walk home I get tempted to eat, but I dont have an oppurtunity to buy fast food cos I left my wallet at home! It's about what you eat much more than the excercise. Excercise is like 40% of it, diet is 60%. Its not about starving, but putting in the right stuff and ensuring its balanced. Its okay to have a treat, if it is in balance.
  • Options
    you should make sure you have breakfast, and proper meals but healthy meals. and if you want a snack, eat fruit.
    you could join a gym if you wanted because you can do as much exercise as you want.
  • Options
    Can only echo what others have said about exercise, it gets easier and easier the more you do it.

I am far from the fittest guy in the world and love my food but have taken up golf in a big way this year, since April/May i've been playing 4/5 times a week which means I am walking anywhere between 10-20 miles.

In Feb/March i was knackered the day after playing 18 but now I could easily play every day and not get tired.

And I've lost a little bit of weight into the bargain
  • Options
    So far I have lost about 36lbs over the period of around a year (the past few months have been really busy, so not had a whole lot of chance to exercise).

I started by looking at why I eat and what my downfalls were in diet (I was a comfort eater and drank a lot of beer) and then spent a few weeks changing my diet. I'd suggest doing this first if you eat a lot of sweet foods because you can get headaches from sugar withdrawal... They lasted about five days for me and were tolerable, but I wouldn't have wanted to exercise a lot with them!

What are your vices? You can maybe look at alternatives... Also, use your diet change to do something positive. Learn new ways to cook and try new cuisines. Your palate will also change and you'll learn to love fresh fruit and veg over time. For me, I snack on Nakd bars if I feel the need for chocolate, as they do cocoa flavoured bars that get a chocolate fix... I find a date or two helps if I have a sweet craving...

Find an exercise that you love... Even if you start with walking. Again, look at the positives of this. I enjoyed a gym because I could watch TV and exercise (now I'm a runner training for a marathon, I'm active for the first time ever), but maybe you'd enjoy being a rambler more because you like meeting people, or maybe your competitive streak means you love footy. Take time with this, try different things, mix up your exercise and vary it.

That's the advice I'd give... Losing weight hasn't been easy for me. I have another stone to go before I'm going to try to eat to sustain my weight. However, mental wellbeing and feeling awesome have been a bigger plus for me, than dropping from a size 18 to a 12!

Good luck. :)
  • Options
    Weight loss tips

Weight should be lost only if you weigh more than the standard levels that are determined. If you are over weighted then weight loss will keep you fit and fine with proper diets if followed. To lose weight and to subsequently maintain your health you can include fibers in your food and work out as much as possible.
  • Options
    Where exactly are you trying to lose wait from primarly? The stomach? The legs? The arse?

Different places require different methods added on than the common EAT LESS-EXCERSISE MORE routine. While it works, there are particular machines/methods that help it work faster.

I play football and exercise. Yet I've still got a bit of tub on the stomach and some manboobs. So does Wayne Rooney and Charlie Adam yet they are incredibly athletic people. It depends on where you want to loose weight and where.
  • Options
    Same goes to what people are saying.
    Even cutting 200 cals from your diet will see you losing some pounds.
    but the best method is looking at your diet - if its high in simple carbs and fat swap them choc bars for a banana or granola bar.
    I find that cutting bread, pastry, reformed meats and breakfast cerails out, reducing dairy intake and adding/increasing fruit, veg and lean meats help towards in balancing the diet and dont forget to keep hydrated with water not coke or squash. you'll be suprised how much drinking water will make weight loss easier.

if you dont feel comfortable in joining the gym at first there are some things you can do at home - if you look on you tube and look up bums legs and tums, etc you will find some workouts that you can do on the livingroom floor, or even swap the lift for stairs or go up and down the stairs a few times at home to work them legs and you can make it more interesting my keeping to a beat and doing some arm curls holding a tin of beans.

It is all ini well in losing weight but you will want to tone the muscles (this may make it appear you arent losing weight but you will be reducing your fat% and increasing your muscle%) looking leaner and feeling much better.

A note to add you dont want to lose too much too fast, for it is not good for your body and your 'diet' will crash and burn.

good luck and you can do it :)
  • Options
    Nice sharing.
    When i was 12 years old then my weight is over 65 then my father advice me that i need some exercise to lose my weight and then i start running 1 km daily, and now my weight is under 55, now i felt so good. If a man want to lose their wight quickly then he should do any exercise daily but first he control his diet with exercise.
  • Options
    K-Dwagg wrote: »
    reducing dairy intake

No no no, increase dairy when you want to lose weight. Have something low fat and dairy everytime you eat and you poo your way to skinny, for real.
  • Options
    Well,thanks for providing useful information...In my point of view drinking more water and daily exercise are the best way to reduce weight...!
    LAKE OSWEGO BOOT CAMP