Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

New york

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Heyy guys :)
Me and my mum are looking to go to new york next year around easter time. But we have no idea where to stay or anything, neither of us have ever been to America before! We want to go shopping while we're there, and are looking to stay for about 4days... so if anyone has been it would be great if you could tell me some stuff about it, and ideas of where to stay, what to do etc.

Thanks all :d
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Finding hotels is very expensive as they are generally gered towards business travellers however if you look at the right time of year when business people are less likely to be using hotels you might get some good deals.

I have stayed at the Parker and the Hudson both are nice the Hudson is cooler but the Parker has a swimming pool on the roof. If you want a bog standard hotel then there are loads but I would read up on the trip advisor reviews as well.

For sight seeing as well as the normal cheesy things to do like central park and the empire state building i'd also recomend the East Side Tenament Museum which really liked. I also liked the transport museum in brooklyn but you probably have to be a bit geeky to get into it.

For shopping Centuary 21 has lots of bargins, plus there are lots of other shops.

Overall though NYC is expenisive
    I went to New York a few years ago for a weekend and LOVED it!

I can't remember the details but I hope you have a wicked time!

:heart:

Shops are open til midnight!
    Thank you both :) How difficult is it to find your way round? And are there clothes shops everywhere or only in certain places?
    Thank you both :) How difficult is it to find your way round? And are there clothes shops everywhere or only in certain places?

If you can find your way around London, you can find your way around New York, I'd say. The subway stations are pretty obvious and they (iirc) show on the sign which line(s) run through that station. Someone might have to correct me on that, mind.

Also the whole of NYC is built in squares, and there are yellow taxis bloody everywhere.

Thing to remember: prices shown on adverts are pre-tax, so add a few $$ onto everything to be on the safe side.
    The subway isn't as comprehensive as the Tube in london but its pretty good and its really easy to walk around as well as everythign is on a grid system. The only things is that the taxi drivers never know where anything is so you always have to know the address of where your going.

There aren't shops everywhere - but in general there are quite a lot on Broadway and just to the south of the park.
    My mum and her friends went for a few days and stayed in a travelodge/premier inn type place within walking distance of times square. not too expensive i dont think
    Broadway show, that is my only recommendation.
    I went in January for a week and froze my arse off!

We stayed at the Newton which was a nice little place on Broadway, right next to a subway station. The subway can be a bit confusing at first but you soon get the hang of it. It's important to note that some trains only stop at certain stops so you have to look at the number of the train to see whether it goes to all stops or what.

As for shopping, I am a Macy's girl. I've gotten some good bargains in both the New York and San Francisco stores but it's important to remember as others have pointed out that tax doesn't get added on until you get to the till.

Talking of things that you might not expect, expect a lot of tipping. Waiters, barmaids, baristas, hairdressers, cab drivers, tour guides...the list goes on. Also, it's important to note that a 10% tip means that you're unhappy, 15% is ok, 20% is good. Not tipping is really offensive over there.

As for things to do, we (I was with my dad and my brother) really enjoyed the following:
    - Ground Zero Tour. A little morbid but it really does blow your mind.
    - Radio City Tour. We did this to get out of the cold but it was really interesting and is worth it to ogle the décor.
    - Food walking tours. Sounds a bit weird but you have a good laugh and get to eat lots of nice food for not a lot of money.
    - River tour. Get to see lots of the landmarks including the Statue of Liberty.

Hope that helps a bit :)