Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What do you think makes a healthy relationship?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There's obviously no right or wrong answer, it would be nice to hear to your views. Cheers, Salsa

Comments

• Options
    Hi there salsahearn, welcome to TheSite :wave:

If you're interested in starting a discussion on this topic then it's usually good to kick off with what you think about the question to get things going - otherwise you're likekly to find that people are a little sceptical.

If you're here for research purposes of some kind then you're not in the right place - this is a supportive communtiy and not somewhere to gather information unless you have the prior permission of a moderator.

Cheers ;)
  • Options
    since there are very different folks around all you can say is very basic and generic stuff, like mutual understanding and trust.

If you can't trust your partner it will cause jealousy and sooner or later contempt. If you can't communicate with each other, solve problems (that arise in every relationship), can't find compromises or simply do not understand or relay problems, wishes, etc to each other the relationship is limited as well.

That said, I think power (over one another) and egoistical thinking are things that always end relationships sooner or later.

On the other hand, a relationship should always be "profitable" for every party involved. That can be everything from not being alone, from loving that person, from liking to be in that persons vicinity from feeling understood, from doing things together that make both happy (going places, traveling, sex, communication, hobbies... not necessarily all of them, they are just examples). As soon as one person does not feel it "gets" something out of the relationship but just gives, the relationship is on a downward slope. In that sense a relationship is for me a form of symbiosis.
  • Options
    I agree with StrubbleS. Being able to make jokes, not getting too carried away and it getting all horrible. I lost a "friend" that way. (he took it too far)

Looking forward to seeing each other / talking and it not feeling like a chore.
  • Options
    salsahearn wrote: »
    There's obviously no right or wrong answer, it would be nice to hear to your views. Cheers, Salsa

Communication and compromise.

Communication : Talk to each other. If you have something on your mind, tell your partner. Bottling it up does neither of you any good. You can only resolve something that you are aware of.

Compromise : Be prepared to make sacrifices too when sacrifices are made for you.
  • Options
    salsahearn wrote: »
    What do you think makes a healthy relationship?

Two people who don't need to be in a relationship.
  • Options
    Sex, feelings, attention, thoughtfulness, caring, feistyness, some insecurity and strong yet ultimately compromising personalities.
  • Options
    Actually, upon being 2 days away for work with a (girl) colleague of mine we talked about that among other things during our endless drives through the country. All you need is a friend, that you like an appreciate so much you want to see him lots and share moments, time and (parts of) your life with him/her. And then it happens.

People who cannot date their friends, just because they are friends, and they rather date more or less strangers because there is a tingly feeling in their tummy will be disappointed lots, because there is only a chance this tingly feeling is meaningful and remains and is not just like the tingly feeling you have before you get diarrhea.

Once you have a friend in that person you know it's right, because otherwise you wouldn't be friends.

That's what I was thinking for a long time now, just remembered it, and she apparently has found her friend, and everyone I ever find does not want to date me, because we are such good friends. And I say, but I want to date you exactly for that reason.
  • Options
    seperate bedrooms, or other little space of your own.
  • Options
    Sex, feelings, attention, thoughtfulness, caring, feistyness, some insecurity and strong yet ultimately compromising personalities.

pretty much
  • Options
    It is nice to have a happy and healthy relationship. Make sure that you and your significant other are able to understand each other at all times.A healthy relationship means that that the two of you are enjoying life despite all the challenges and conflicts.A healthy relationship is rare these days.