Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Lunch in a bag

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Next week I am at taking a class that is 9-5. But unlike a job, I don't think there are any microwaves, fridges, freezers, ovens... anything at all. Just snack machines and a cafeteria. Being poor, I will bring my own lunch as I won't spend money on overpriced food and snacks.

However, I am just baffled as to what to bring. I have a million and one ideas for snacks throughout the day, but nothing for an actual meal for lunch except a peanut butter sandwich and a baggie full of cheerios :p.

Any suggestions on what to bring for lunch? It is food that must be filling enough and be able to sit in a bag at room temp for several hours... and nothing complex or messy.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    peanut butter sandwich and a bag of cheerios
    lol Suzy.

Biscuits / cookies, some dried fruit?
    Melian wrote: »
    lol Suzy.

Biscuits / cookies, some dried fruit?

Lol, I'd starve to death if that were a lunch. I got the snacks throughout the day squared away, snacks are easy.

Maybe I'll mix up the pb sandwich and get chunky pb one day, or that weird looking stuff with pb and jam in the same tub :p

I suppose I'll just take a browse through the store, maybe they have stuff made for this situation.
    Sandwiches
    Crisps
    A piece or two of fruit
    A cake/ chocolate bar/ cereal bar
    A drink

(bear in mind if you are going into a school they may have a nut policy- my school used to because of people being servilely allergic.)
    my name wrote: »
    Lol, I'd starve to death if that were a lunch. I got the snacks throughout the day squared away, snacks are easy.

lol Wasn't suggesting you just take that.
    that weird looking stuff with pb and jam in the same tub :p

That sounds so wrong!
    Pasta salad, rice salad, sandwiches, stuffed pitta bread, fruit, crudities, muffin, crisps.....

Pretty much anything will last 5 hours out of the fridge.
    All that sounds gross at room temp, pasta, rice, fruits, vegies, anything that isn't a spread in a sandwich or sandwich type thing. Everything I've looked up or read just sounds awful eating at room temp, it has to be hot or cold to sound good, lol. I think I'll just see how long we get for lunch the first day and truck it home, its only about 8 miles.

I guess I'm really picky :p
    Thanks for taking the time to make suggestions anyways :)
    You should be able to buy ice packs (it's a bit of plastic with some liquid in and you put in it the freezer to freeze it) to keep your food cold?
    Melian wrote: »
    You should be able to buy ice packs (it's a bit of plastic with some liquid in and you put in it the freezer to freeze it) to keep your food cold?

Genius, that didn't even cross my mind!

Though I actually found a microwave so all my stupidity and bitching was for nothing :p