Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Open University

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm currently with the OU, I know I could go to a "brick university" but chose the OU for personal circumstances.

Just wondering, does anyone else have any past experinces with the OU they would like to share? What do you think about the OU?

Thanks in advance x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I prefer it to a brick uni. I can study when I'm able to. (I'm disabled and full days are no good for me)
  • Options
    I looked into it for PhD study because my health isn't very amenable to full-time study, but sadly they don't offer my subject at doctoral level.

I have found it has a solid reputation even in academic circles.
  • Options
    I'm disabled too - So I thought because it's flexiable learning it would be easier on me (as in health - not the study)

But I have had some problems with the tutors. As in, feeling let down and alone basically.
  • Options
    I've never had problems with my tutor.
  • Options
    shy_girl wrote: »
    I'm currently with the OU, I know I could go to a "brick university" but chose the OU for personal circumstances.

Just wondering, does anyone else have any past experinces with the OU they would like to share? What do you think about the OU?

Thanks in advance x

I am a now a second year student with the OU Last year I took S103, MU120 and MST121.The OU books are amazing and every tutor I have had has been lovely and really helpful.I would definitely recommend the OU.

What the Open University loses in direct contact (with both tutors and other students) it makes up for by the quality of the course materials and the thoroughness with which the presentation and the assessments have been thought through.
  • Options
    One thing I found very useful was that all books and the companions are all online too. As someone who struggles with print, this makes reading so much easier.