Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

NHS Dental Entitlements

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi folks,

Hope you're all well. Just wanted to know what people know about you're entitled to on the NHS. I have teeth which continuously give me problems. I have 'weak' teeth apparently which so far means at 24 I have about 8 fillings, 2 root canals - one with an AWFUL silver crown which makes me look like a rapper and one porcelain crown. Last time I was on my partners dental insurance. It cost me about £600 altogether because the dentist would only do my porcelain crown privately. Thankfully I was reimbursed. The same dentist, I just had to pay the private costs so I didn't have a silver crown at the front of my mouth.

I'm in pain right now. My dodgy filling which undoubtedly needs a root canal and crown, is giving me hell. Looking on the website, the crowns come under band 3 '£203'. It also specifies that porcelain crowns are included. When I googled entitlement to this crown there were many such questions on the likes of yahoo with responses suggesting that NHS dentists don't feel that the money doesn't cover the costs of the work/time/effort and therefore do refuse to do it on the NHS. If it's specified on the NHS website, am I not automatically entitled otherwise it's false?

If anyone could put me right - I'd appreciate it. The costs are crippling for us 'weak teeth' folk who do everything we can to stay healthy and yet can't avoid my teeth deteriorating.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It can say on the NHS that they will do it, but you'll be far fetched to find one that will do it on the NHS. They will think the cost isn't worth the time to do it for the NHS. Dentists want you to always go private. That is why most dentists now (who are still signed on the NHS) will just pull a tooth if its easier/cheaper for them, rather than fixing the issue and keeping your tooth. As I've experienced. I've even talked to my dentist about my tooth root that is still there years after, he won't touch it on the NHS terms.

That is why most dentists won't stay with the NHS anymore.
    Even though dentists who do carry out NHS work earn more on average than those who dont, many just want the more money from private work. There was some thing on TV not that long ago about the scandal in many dentists who "refuse" to do work on the NHS.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-91/episode-1

Have a watch, its quite scary what they try and get away with.
    The current NHS dental contract is complete rubbish, for everyone involved. There are plenty of procedures that it is simply not economically viable for most dentists to perform on the NHS contract terms - so they don't do it. There's no requirement in the contract for a dentist to have to provide a complete range of services as part of their NHS work.

If you're having problems, then you should be able to get in touch with the bit of your local health authority who look after dental provision, and get them to put you in touch with an NHS dentist that will do the work

Be warned though, it's relatively easy for the NHS to get out of doing porcelain crowns, as their big advantage is their aesthetics - and aesthetics isn't something the NHS covers. Also, to actually have weak teeth through no fault of your own is very, very rare. The more likely scenario is that you've got thinned enamel (which leads to weak teeth) as a result of sipping your way through acidic drinks, or sucking on mints at some point in your life. One to keep an close eye on.