Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

home page trouble..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
sad i know but maybe one of you people are able to help me.

the problem is my home page is meant to be "freeserve"
but it keeps comming up as something else" start here " or somethig??
so i go to tools. select internet options,
change all the bits back to freeserve for my default.

and hay prestow next time i start my pc my home page is crap .cometc...
what do i need to do to stop this???

Comments

• Options
    You know, if you'd put this in 'NET' I would of answered a lot quicker :p

OK, If it keeps resetting itself back to that CometC crap then it'll probably be because you installed <insert your IE browser here> from one of the Comet CDs, those guys have intergrated their settings into the browser (might also be why you have a 'Comet'/Company logo in the top right corner of this browser windows instead of the 'Windows/IE' one)

So to solve it? If thats the reason (which it sounds like it) uninstall <insert your IE browser here> completely and re-install it using a net magazine version or non-freebie supermarket CD and you'll have full control back...

You'd just have to choose your website and set it as default, so again that would be by going:

http://www.freeserve.com

Tools > Internet Options > Homepage ('Use Current')
  • Options
    More general advice :

The registry line that controls this (win98 and 95 only. This does not work on win2K and above) is :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "Start Page" ="http://www.thesite.org/&quot;

This will set your home page to www.thesite.org

The following lines will lock the startpage, and mean the only method of changing it will be through the registry :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
    "HomePage"=dword:00000001

"Wallet"=dword:00000001

This should stop some nasty programs (like the stuff they put on high street purchesed machines), but others will alter the registry themselves.

If you put the above 3 lines into a texted file called reset.reg and put it on your desktop you can reset your start page at any time just by double clicking on it. Assuming you want your start page set to thesite ... and why would you not want that?
  • Options
    thanks cokephreak thats as usfull to me as a bearing being dynamickly ballanced to G.05 @2.5 grams

and just increadable it keeps going back to the one i dont want.

can somebody give the info as if they where tellin an idiot ( me)
    thanks?????:confused:
  • Options
    What cokefreak is trying to say... if your using Windows 95, 98 (and without checking I'd also say ME from the sound of it)

Open up notepad and paste the below it:

"HomePage"=dword:00000001

"Wallet"=dword:00000001

ok... now save this file to your desktop as 'homepage.reg', now double click on it and you'll get a question asking if you'd like to enter these strings to your registry.

Now your IE start page should be set to whatever address you have written in the reg file (so you can change it from 'thesite' address to another should you wish...

If your using Windows NT/2000/XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289902

Just be careful if your using the registry editing and your not sure what your doing... I'll try and find you something a little safer than manually going into it.. :)
  • Options
    it came up with this is not a registry script. it cant import it????
    ????????
  • Options
    *isn't one 100% happy with saying this, the registry isn't the safest place in the world, especially if your not familar with it*

Close IE...

Start > Run > Regedit

In regedit, browse the following:

Open this string and change the address:

Close regedit, reboot

That *should* work if you have Windows 95, 98 and ME
  • Options
    Justin : doing that will switch the homepage, but not lock the varialble. You really need to run those other lines as well.

Heres some general good advice : Whenever doing anything to the registry its a good idea to make a backup of the registry while its still working. There is no garuentee it will after you make the changes.

When you go into the regedit program go to the "registry" menu, and choose "export registry file". This will open a standard "save as" window, where you can browse to a suitable place on your hard drive and click save to make a copy.

Hows that justin, not only is it acurate, but its also useful. Normally i do the first without bothering with the second....