Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

concerns taking Yasmin.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
SO ive just been to the doctor, who has put me on Yasmin..

He asked if i smoke... which .. i guess its not a habit at the moment. But it had one or two... guess i planned on carrying on if i ever felt i needed a fag. But i was with my mum at the time, so had to say no ! What should i do ? I guess stopping is an option, but is it abolute NO-NO to smoking AND taking Yasmin, or just risky.. ?

Also whilst reading the booklet to find out stuff about this it said something about taking special care when taking Yasmin and when you have depression. Now i havent been clinically diagnosed with depression, But have many symptoms and a online course (which isnt some random thing it is trusted and recommended by doctors) said i have very high levels of depression. So now im panicking!

ANY advice on either or those... ill be eternally grateful! Thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    okay finally foudn it in the booklet "Strongly advised to stop smoking" So i guess ill try haha :D other than risking blood clots anybody know of any other affects, or how high that risk is?
  • Options
    Yasmin increases your risk of getting blood clots, as does smoking. Combining the two is obviously putting yourself at higher risk than when you don't.

If you're over weight, drink a lot, and have a not very active lifestyle then you should probably think about going back to the doctor. If it's just the occasional cigarette, then personally I would ignore it, but that's not medical advice.

With regards to the depression side of things, most hormonal treatments advise caution for use in patients with mental health issues, because obvious hormones can affect your mind set. If you think things start to deterioate after you start taking Yasmin, then go back to your GP. In general though, it's not a common problem, but pretty much every potential problem has to be listed in the booklet.
  • Options
    I don't know about the smoking thing but I am on Yasmin and have depression (diagonosed) and it is fine, it doesn't affect my depression.