Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

ISA's and Savings Accounts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So i wanna open one of each cos i already have more than the ISA limit saved so wanna put that extra in a regular savings account. Ive found some good deals with Natwest and Halifax and thought I'd go with them since im already with them.

Thing is, Halifax do better deals on both accounts so going with them would mean all my 3 accounts (i already have a current account with them) would be with them, which im a bit hesitant to do. Would it be stupid to do that or should i keep a regular savings account seperate with Natwest just in case anything happens??

God this is so stressful!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Never mind, Ive sorted it :D
    I personally find it easier having accounts with the same bank - it means any transfers are done there and then. whereas, it takes 3 days to transfer from one branch to another.
    I was just worried in case the bank goes bust or something but i found a decent savings account with another branch so ill keep that in a seperate bank to my current account and ISA
    God i thought i had this sorted but i dont!

Basically im looking for an instant access savings account, with a debit card so i can withdraw money when i want to. The best one ive seen is with Halifax, something like 2% interest rate.

But im already with them with a current account and now an ISA which i set up today, so im unsure whether to go with them and leave Natwest, or stay with Natwest and their poxy 0.1% interest savings account. Stress!
    Your savings are automatically insured up to £85k per bank.
    But what's the customer service like with both bank accounts? That's also something you need to think about.
    I like both tbh, never had a problem with them.

Ive also done some looking around and cant find one better than my current savings account other than Halifax. Oh well :(
    You'll not find a Savings account with a debit card.

You will however get a Savings account with an atm card.

The problem is, you sacrifice interest for ease of access. You'll get a higher interest rate with the accounts you just access online, whereas accounts with branch / atm access will probably give you a lower interest rate.

Try http://www.moneysupermarket.com/savings/easy-access-accounts/

If you've got a minimum account and want to lock with away, look at a Fixed Rate Bond for example.
    Savings Accounts

I find a good independant site for savings is http://www.interest-rates.org.uk It seems to have just about the biggest range of accounts for UK as well as us expat savers...
    Hey Lexi99,

Seems like a confusing and stressful time right now; but don't worry, banking gets us all confused at times.

Are you any closer to reaching a decision in light of FUCK IT's and johnp's really useful posts?

:)