Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I think I might be depressed.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As the title says, I think I might be depressed. For as long as I can remember, I've been a 'worrier' and I put my sad feelings down to this. Recently though, I've been through a lot (long term relationship breakup amongst them) and I just don't feel like I can cope anymore. I feel sad pretty much constantly, I'm not sleeping properly, I'm either up all night or up every couple of hours, I'm not eating properly, I'm either bingeing or not eating at all and I just feel so utterly useless and hopeless. I really can't see any kind of happy future for myself. I have no confidence whatsoever at the moment and can't see a reason why anyone should want to be with me or even be around me so I've been distancing myself more and more from my friends, staying in every night, doing pretty much nothing. This isn't me.

I know this isn't right and I know I need to see my doctor. But I really don't know how to explain it to my doctor; I feel like if I describe what I've described above I'll sound like I'm attention seeking or being a drama queen, so I've been putting it off for weeks now. I'm even embarrassed just typing it here. How do I even begin to explain it to her?

Would be very appreciative of any advice you guys might have.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Write it down. To be honest, if you just say you think you're depressed they should ask you about a lot of the things you've mentioned.

Also, when it comes to mental health doctors are buggers for asking, "What did you expect from me?", so you might want to think about an answer to that. Do you want to try medication, or do you want a referral for counselling, or perhaps both? There's no right or wrong in these situations but it helps to give it some thought.