Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Drink Driving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anybody here ever done any drink driving at camp sites before? I don't understand the law for this...

Basically I was at a camp site and borrowed a mates car when I was drunk and now I realise I've no idea how legal/illegal it was... :nervous:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its still illegal on a campsite. Twice a year I go to classic car/hot rod weekenders and everyone cruises round the site but road rules still apply, i.e. indicating, driving on the left etc etc, as does no drink driving. But hey, you're still here and alive and werent caught so just be more careful next time
    As google will tell you if you bother to look, it is illegal to drink-drive on a public road or in a public place. Private land to which the public do not have access (e.g. your back garden) doesn't count, but a camp site probably will.
    I thought drink driving was only illegal in December?
    katralla wrote: »
    I thought drink driving was only illegal in December?

Lol, from the "campaigns" we do i can see how people think that.

As was alluded to earlier, in terms of driving there are 2 rules that might apply. For somethings such as insurance or having a licence/tax the vehicle has to be seen on a public highway, ie a road or footpath. For other things such as drink driving the term "public place" which is any place where the public have access either paid or unpaid, applies. So if you've ever been tempted to drive home from the pub you can be done as soon as you get in the car in the car park.
    Thanks guys. I've been having bad dreams about this won't be doin this again any time soon...
    won't be doin this again any time soon...

good.
    Although we appreciate you posting on this site, this thread is a bit old now and we don't like to drag things up that have been dealt with already for the OP (original poster).

Please start a new thread if you have a new question or query.

Going to close this thread now.

:)
This discussion has been closed.