Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Higher fees for those that can...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Read This

Main Proposals are:

More 'realistic' student loans
Higher interest rates for the better off
Possible higher tuition fees
Possible 'top-up' fees
'All-through' grants from 16

I think I'd be in favour of most of them, apart from the higher tuition fees for different courses. That is wrong I think.

What does everyone else think?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Higher fees for those that can...
    Originally posted by Jono_H

What does everyone else think?

Abolish tuition fees.

Totally free university education for anyone who wants it, and can demonstrate a suitable standard of ability.
    Re: Re: Higher fees for those that can...
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei

Totally free university education for anyone who wants it, and can demonstrate a suitable standard of ability.

Define a "suitable standard of ability".

Ability in what?

Judged by whom?

Would three E's be acceptable?

Fine line to tread. You may even start to sound like me...
    Re: Re: Re: Higher fees for those that can...
    Originally posted by DJP

You may even start to sound like me...

Nah. Nowhere near as eloquent. :)

I think the current means of distributing education is quite adequate. Universities need funds, otherwise the level of education will drop. They can't suck all those funds of international students. If you guys don't pay directly, then you'll only pay through taxation.

Keep as is, I fail to see why reform is necessary? Because you're all too cheap to pay for tertiary education? Meh.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Higher fees for those that can...
    Originally posted by Turtle

Keep as is, I fail to see why reform is necessary? Because you're all too cheap to pay for tertiary education? Meh.

No, I am too poor. The govt. seem to think my parents give me money, which they don't at all, because they can't afford to.

The govt. recommends my parents give me money every week and tries to get them to pay £360 of my tuition fees, but they can't afford that either, so I pay them myself, from my loan, which leaves me less money for rent, so I work a job, get home and rush some essays. This leaves me behind the people who don't work.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Higher fees for those that can...
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

No, I am too poor. The govt. seem to think my parents give me money, which they don't at all, because they can't afford to.

The govt. recommends my parents give me money every week and tries to get them to pay £360 of my tuition fees, but they can't afford that either, so I pay them myself, from my loan, which leaves me less money for rent, so I work a job, get home and rush some essays. This leaves me behind the people who don't work.

You know that many universities run hardship schemes and provide bursaries/grants for those in difficulty. If your case is serious enough they will give you approx £3000, no fee, and you dont have to return it.