Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

bf doesnt love me...what does it mean

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hiya peeps, iv been with my boyfriend 5 months now and the other day i asked him if he loved me and he said no :confused::(, and that the only people hes ever loved is his family and that it takes time, he says he cares about me alot and likes me alot, but if he doesnt love me by now is it really worth carrying on with the relationship? i would really appriciate anyones opinion, thx guys!

Comments

• Options
    Of course it is worth carrying on with the relationship! At least he was honest with u & didn't tell u he does love u just because he thinks it is what u want to hear.

I was with one of my ex's for a year & we never loved each other, just cared very deeply about each other. To be honest 5 months isn't *that* long, u are still getting to know each other & he has said he does care about u, it just hasn't got to the 'love' stage yet.

How old are u & your bf btw?
  • Options
    Hey, if your a teen then hemight just see it as a teenage fling that everyone has. (I've never had one, but I have seen them many times).

Hellie's right. You start loving someone until you have known him/her for a long time and get 'attached' to him/her. Or thats how I find it anyway. You should certainly carry on with the relationship.

Chris
  • Options
    thx for ur opinions, im 18 and hes 25 so theres a bit of an age gap, does that make any difference about what love is to someone when they get older? does it have more meaning at that age?
  • Options
    It's a good sign.

Feel really, really lucky that you've got someone who is honest with you about his feelings.

Trust me, it's so much better that he doesn't just say he loves you for the hell of it. It sounds like he really respects you.

Whatever the hell you do, don't throw a good relationship away.
  • Options
    People mean different things by "love."

I know guys who tell girls they love them a week after meeting them, others who say they are "players" and will never love anyone...

...and even amongst more balanced people there is no definition of what "love" is. Some will say love is only when you truly belive you will never want to be with anyone else. Plainly in a ralationship at a young age that really isn't true.

This guy obviously has a clearly defined picture of what love is, which must be a good thing. :)

Don't know why I'm trying to give advice, I don't know what it is :( .
  • Options
    well he hasn't said he wants to finish it himself has he? he must really care for you but love can be a strong word for some people, like trust, friendship, intimacy or just companionship. if you think things are going great and they are no troubles between you two then why end it? these things take time and just go with the flow. it seems that you are asking for someone to love you, but what does love mean to you?

don't rush things, take care:)