Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

All my friends have plans in life but me?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all. First post so ill keep it shortwinded. All of my friends seem to be set on where theyre going after college/uni etc and im clueless. I have no talent or interest in anything really which is a job (video games obv isnt a job really).

Has anyone else felt like this? feels like im stuck and everyone else is moving on.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, some people seem very set on their direction after uni. However, not everyone can choose exactly what they want to do after uni. You settle for a decent job, then work your way up, if that's what you desire. And people even make changes in their life as they go, if they find out that their "predestined" path wasn't for them.

So, although it may feel like everyone else know exactly what they're doing and what they're up to in the future, quite a few of them will be doing something completely different in life at a later stage.
    Yeah I know but how come I'm like the only one who's clueless of what to do after college?
    Some people find out what's their talents and strengths during their first jobs or so after college. Not everyone knows exactly where they're going after college when they're students. If not sure, it's best to try out something you think you'd like even if you're not sure. Sometimes you really have to try it before deciding whether you can continue liking it or not.
    Most people I know who make plans after uni end up realising that life is not as simple as that and does not go to plan. In the real world most people get whatever jobs they can, learn what they are good at along the way and rather than "planning their career" almost make it up as they go along.

If you are not sure what you are good at they try getting a job with varied roles. Then work out what you like and try to get jobs like that.
    Do you like writing? Maybe you could start by writing reviews for video games and other things you're interested in, and go from there. I'm 25 and it's only over the past year that I have really realised what I'd like to do in the future. Although I'm still not sure of an exact job title. I like to keep my options open to opportunities. Think of it like that, and in the meantime, enjoy life!
    I did have plans - but they've never worked out. I'm now in the situation of not knowing what I really want to do.
    I left education at 18 after throwing away my A-Levels. I went into temp working and did upwards of 10 different temp positions over the next 5yrs. A couple I got the sack from, others I left to go elsewhere. At 23 years old I walked into a 6 month fixed term contract because it was November and I wanted money for Christmas. Here I am 10yrs later and still with the same company. I have increased my profile and my salary exponentially and have gained many marketable skills. Okay, so maybe this role wasn't my dream but it has become a place where I can demonstrate my skillset. I've always had aptitude and intelligence, I just lacked direction.

Don't give up hope just because you lack a clear vision of your future. There is time for you to experiment with jobs and to pick up valuable experience. Sometimes it is only through 'doing' that you find somewhere you fit.
    I feel exactly the same. My deadline for my assigments is in 3 weeks, after that im done with uni and i have no idea what to do!

Everyone in my situation keeps asking what im doing after uni and when i say i have absolutely no idea, will just see what happens, i get this look :eek2:

Hmm just realised i dont have any constructive advice but just wanted to say you're not the only one
    Loads of people are in the same boat. I'm nearly 28, married with a kid and a mortgage and I don't know what I plan to do when I'm grown up and stuff.

It's good to think about what sorts of things you enjoy doing, but most people just blunder into a career and then find that they're quite good at it. It's what I've done.
    I'm about to finish uni and EVERYONE keeps asking me what I want to do now and I really don't know. Well I do roughly but I'm taking a year out to work and get some money behind me before I do anything. Some of my friends are moving in with bfs/getting married etc and I just want to keep partying and travelling the world! There's nothing wrong with it!
    Even the people who do have plans, most likely have fairly simplistic ones. When I went to uni I had a plan, it went something like this:

1. Have jobs in the summer holiday
    2. Graduate
    3. Get a job in engineering
    4. Get chartered

Then work out what to do next.

7 years later, the plan is no more specific.
    Im in this position right now. About to graduate, i know what im going to do but seriously nothing to get all Wind up about. Take things as they come and sooner or later you figure something out! Just chill ;)
    Even the people who do have plans, most likely have fairly simplistic ones. When I went to uni I had a plan, it went something like this:

1. Have jobs in the summer holiday
    2. Graduate
    3. Get a job in engineering
    4. Get chartered

Then work out what to do next.

7 years later, the plan is no more specific.

This is pretty much what mine is like. Except it's computing and not engineering.
    If you want something...you have to go and get it. You can't expect it to come to you, because that won't happen and is not realistic. If you're willing to work hard to get what you want, anything's possible. If not, you'll spend your life saying 'I don't know what to do with my life'. If you're not sure what you want, get out there and make the most of life, and you'll figure it out.

So how about putting that plan into action?
    Hey there rubbers,

Just wondering if you've had a chance to read everyone's great responses and whether the situation is any more clearer for you?

:)