Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Welcome to the new look discussion boards!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
So... the time has finally come for out with the old and in with the new! After 24 hours of exporting, downloading, indexing, testing and general techy stuff (including last minute panics) the upgrade is now complete and we're really pleased with how it looks.

You'll notice a few things have moved around and the general look and feel of the place is, we think, a lot more up to date and a little easier on the eye :yes:

With anything like this we don't expect things to be totally flawless and we may find a few teething problems. We'd love to hear your initial reactions and if you do come across any issues we'd really appreciate you letting us know and being a little patient while we fix any bugs and all get settled in :)

The upgrade has been a long time coming, and there's been a ton of hard work behind the scenes here at TheSite Towers. We really hope you like it!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It looks good (I think) - Still finding my way around.

:chin:
    As I'm old, can I bitch and moan about how things were better in the old days when all this was trees and fields?
    Oooh, have just noticed the "nominate" button...
    I like it.
    Woo to the nominate button. I want to click it...

:thumb:

Edit - I clicked it.
    It was still better when we had stars.
    It was still better when we had stars.

:yes:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    As I'm old, can I bitch and moan about how things were better in the old days when all this was trees and fields?
    Yeah, things have only been getting worse. They had a nice blue forum with stars in the beginning and for some reason they're downgrading it every once in a while. Whippersnappers!

J/k people, it looks really good so far! I'm still looking around though. :p

EDIT: One small complaint: The "Quick jump" select box at the bottom of each thread doesn't have a "Go" button any more. This made it easier to go back to the thread list after finishing with a thread. But I suppose the "top" button works, since I can just click on the forum's name afterwards.

EDIT2: I'll add a couple more.
    1)This might be a change in design and not a bug: There's no list with currently logged-in users at the bottom, it just says "array".
    2)The icons for forums and threads for when there's new posts and when there aren't look very similar to each other, so it's not easy to tell where there are new posts (at least for me; I'm a bit colour-blind).
    Looks very sleek. I like it! :thumb:
    how do i change my settings though i want my old skool orange back!
    Go to home page, bottom there's a list of all the different skins. Just click on the orange.

EDIT: Actually, it's at the bottom of every page.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    In you mook wide the nominate and report buttons have been obscured by the forum posts.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Actually, scrap that - it was my compatibility view thingy that made it like that :)
    In you mook wide the nominate and report buttons have been obscured by the forum posts.

Thanks for that littlemissy. Hmm, I'm not getting that problem (using IE8) - it may be a browser issue - what browser are you using?
    Very nice! I'm liking this alot. Still finding my way around but good work :)
    Ooooh im liking this so far, havent ran into any problems yet
    1)This might be a change in design and not a bug: There's no list with currently logged-in users at the bottom, it just says "array".

You can see who is online if you click next to where it says 'there are currently...'
    Oh. If you click on quick links under the forum tab, theres a who's online option.
    Phew, you mook wide is still there...
    In Black and White, using IE6 (I know, ancient, and if it's only an IE6 problem, ignore it) the Report and Nominate buttons are out of line with the message window. Like they're escaping out of the top.
    2)The icons for forums and threads for when there's new posts and when there aren't look very similar to each other, so it's not easy to tell where there are new posts (at least for me; I'm a bit colour-blind).

The 'Array' thing is a bug we're aware of, well done for spotting it! So yeah, hopefully we can get that fixed but if you click on the number of users online it will take you through to a list.

I know what you mean about the forum icons - the colour change for new posts isn't as obvious as in the old version. I'll add it to our lists of tweeks we'd like to make :) When you're in a forum the thread titles should change to bold if there are new posts in them which helps.
    In Black and White, using IE6 (I know, ancient, and if it's only an IE6 problem, ignore it) the Report and Nominate buttons are out of line with the message window. Like they're escaping out of the top.

Could you do a screen grab and attach it for me Scary? Another one for the list ;)
    This might just be me and its not really that important but the little green online light seems abit small and hard to see. Doesnt seem that obvious what colour it is at times. As i say, not really that important!

Edit : It might just be that im blind! :p
    Go to home page, bottom there's a list of all the different skins. Just click on the orange.

EDIT: Actually, it's at the bottom of every page.
    I think it's better to do it from the options rather than the bottom of the page. I think it's more permanent that way.
    I'm just guessing here, but I think that changing it from the options changes the setting in your account at the server, while changing it from the bottom of a page just stores it in a cookie on your computer.
    Good point - you can change it permanently in Settings>General settings :thumb:
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Good point - you can change it permanently in Settings>General settings :thumb:

Although some of us like having a different skin for home and work :D
    P.S. I very much like, "Reply with Quote" and "Quick Reply" being separate. As a person who used to totally forget to click the "Quote message in reply" box, I love this :heart:.
    what's "tag cloud" about?
    Melian wrote: »
    what's "tag cloud" about?
    I've seen it on other forums. You can attach tags to thread, as in a few (5 at most) words that describe what the thread is about. As in "truck,sex,bathtub,gorilla,fly swatter". It helps with searches on specific topics.
    The tag cloud shows the most commonly used tags, and they're bigger depending on how often they've been used.
    Attachment not found.

Think this shows it Helen. You can now see why I didn't make my own av.
    Thanks! Loving the notes on the screen grab there :)
    Thought it got the point across quite nicely. Much clearer than playing chinese whispers with 'they're trying to escape'.

Like I said, I use the worlds most ancient browser as it's still our standard at work, so it might just be a dinosaur thing, and dinosaurs can cope.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I don't like it :-/
    It\is way to slow, the speed of a snail really after going 13 CM far. So slow, is it meant to be like that?
This discussion has been closed.