Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Claiming benefits in a complicated situation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This week I quit my job. Although it was a good position, I have been unhappy for some time and have decided to pursue a career in creative advertising. The problem is that it is a very difficult industry to get into - I will probably have to work for free for the next 6 months or so before finding anything full time. The other problem is location, I will be back and forth between Edinburgh and London looking for work with no fixed abode. I know I haven't enough money to see me through 6 months of unemployment, so are there any benefits that can help me out? In Edinburgh I would be staying with family and in London with friends - could I claim housing benefits to help contribute to my upkeep?

Comments

• Options
    talia wrote: »
    could I claim housing benefits to help contribute to my upkeep?

Check out direct.gov, there might be a 6-month wait. That's the waiting period for JSA if you left your job voluntarily.
  • Options
    You cannot claim housing benefit for a property where you live with your landlord and your landlord is a close relative. For less close relatives, or for friends, you have to show that you are renting the property on a commercial basis, and usually the local authority will expect you to prove that your friends or relatives will see you homeless if you don't pay them the rent.

The rental agreement must not have been created solely to take advantage of the housing benefit system. You can only claim housing benefit for one property and it must be your primary residence. The rules are slightly different in England and in Scotland.

You will not be entitled to job-seekers allowance (JSA) for a period of a maximum of 26 weeks as you voluntarily left work, although the sanction is discretionary. Usually the DWP will impose the maximum period of 26 weeks unless you have a good reason for quitting the work, e.g. depression, bullying, and you can prove it. If this applies, they can reduce the sanction downwards from 26 weeks if appropriate.
  • Options
    You will not be entitled to job-seekers allowance (JSA) for a period of a maximum of 26 weeks as you voluntarily left work, although the sanction is discretionary. Usually the DWP will impose the maximum period of 26 weeks unless you have a good reason for quitting the work, e.g. depression, bullying, and you can prove it. If this applies, they can reduce the sanction downwards from 26 weeks if appropriate.

The possible sanction is from the date of the claim. I've come across posts on the internet where people believe that if they apply 26 weeks after leaving work, they won't get sanctioned.
  • Options
    talia wrote: »
    This week I quit my job. Although it was a good position, I have been unhappy for some time and have decided to pursue a career in creative advertising. The problem is that it is a very difficult industry to get into - I will probably have to work for free for the next 6 months or so before finding anything full time. The other problem is location, I will be back and forth between Edinburgh and London looking for work with no fixed abode. I know I haven't enough money to see me through 6 months of unemployment, so are there any benefits that can help me out? In Edinburgh I would be staying with family and in London with friends - could I claim housing benefits to help contribute to my upkeep?
    If you're working for free, you will probably not be entitled to JSA, unless you're available to start any job asap. The idea of JSA is to help people get in to work as soon as they can, not to do long internships which may or may not lead to a job.
  • Options
    Hey there talia,

This does seem like a tricky situation and to be honest I don't know the exact answer.

Although, I came across this website which assists people in checking their benefits entitlement. Their benefits check service is free.

Hope this helps and hope you find answers soon. :)