Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Breaking Bones/Fractures

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you know if you've broken a bone/fractured something?
I was always a believer of if you can move it its not broken, but then I've been hearing otherwise lately...

I fainted of a chair and landed on the side of my foot, my ankle didn't twist and it fucking hurt but I thought it was ok, but then when I woke up the day after my entire foot was purple and bruised. It stopped hurting after a week or so but now I can't sit comfortably cross legged and it aches if I walk around too much or drive for long periods. Maybe a fracture?

Comments

• Options
    Unlikely if you could walk on it. More likely to be ligament damage.
  • Options
    Thanks! Still worth getting it checked out?
  • Options
    Thanks! Still worth getting it checked out?

I wouldn't have thought so. The key here for ankle is the ability to walk on it, very unlikely that it's broken if you could.

Ligament damage can take weeks before it feel right. When I did mine badly playing football (jumped and landed on side of foot), it was six months before I could kick a ball without any pain...
  • Options
    I dunno, I broke three bones in my foot and though it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced - I still walked on it... If it were me, and it were really hurting, I would get it checked.
  • Options
    When I fractured my arm I could still move it, it just hurt like hell! I think if it's causing you pain, it's probably worth getting checked out.
  • Options
    ive known several people who could still walk on a broken foot and only found out when they later got it xrayed
  • Options
    and when i broke my wrist, the hospital didnt think id broken it at first because i could still move it
  • Options
    If it's causing you enough pain to limit your normal day to day activities in some way, then it's always worth getting it checked out.

Just because it isn't a fracture doesn't mean that something can't be done to help with the healing and recovery process. If it's ligament damage then there may be some key exercises that will make a big difference to the long or short term recovery.
  • Options
    There are that many small bones in the foot that it is perfectly possible to fracture one of them and still be able to walk on it. However it probably is more likely to be ligament damage.

Just get it checked out.
  • Options
    Bones in foot, yes you can walk on it. Ankle is weight bearing...

SM is correct about the exercise aspect. Many NHS physio services are open to self referral, it would be worth giving them a call...
  • Options
    She didn't say it was just her ankle, her entire foot is swollen and bruised.
  • Options
    When I fractured my arm I could still move it, it just hurt like hell! I think if it's causing you pain, it's probably worth getting checked out.

same with me :yes:
  • Options
    She didn't say it was just her ankle, her entire foot is swollen and bruised.

Indeed she didn't.

I'm working on the basis that it's a really common football (or sports) injury. Looking at what she said, she landed on the side of her foot and then her whole foot was bruised. Plus she could walk on it. That is entirely in line with what I suggested - ligament damage. Breaks tend not to bruise in the same way and by landing on the side of her foot she's unlikely to have damaged metatarsals either.

There not reason why she absolutely shouldn't go to MIU but, based on experience, I'm betting it would be a waste of her time really. Knowing these departments they will only be concerned if it's broken or not, but a physio will give her decent exercise advice which would be much more useful.