Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

self harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya, I'm 22 and I've been self harming for 9 years. I go through phases of it being serious and not so serious. Between 13-16 it was really bad then 16-18 it was okay. 18-22 has been really difficult again and in the past few months I've had more urges than ever before and I want to tell someone about it. I've never told anyone about it and am scared of upsetting my friends. Would you want to know if your friend was self harming? I just don't want to make them sad or to make it seem like I'm attention seeking. I really don't know who to approach.

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    RE: Self harm

Hey welcome to Thesite.org :wave:
    Could you speak to your GP about whats going on for you? Maybe they could offer you something such as couselling, it's your choice weather you choose to tell your friends or not but if you do tell someone who you honestly trust and has never let you down, OK?

You could also check out some of the artcles on TheSite.org *hug*

Take care
    CC :heart:
    Xx
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey their, welcome to TheSite.org, weldone on posting about what is happening for you, have you tried distractions, could you speak to your GP about what is happening for you? Maybe also get your cuts checked, maybe your GP can refer you on to couseller or someone to talk to, would you do that?
    Hear are a few articles on the site you may want to check out on Self harm http://www.thesite.org/thesite/searchthesite?stage=1&keyword=self+harm
    Their are also a A-Z lint on distractions, and other coping mechnisions, please dokeepposting and allow us to help!

Take care
    DD x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    flobee22 wrote: »
    Hiya, I'm 22 and I've been self harming for 9 years. I go through phases of it being serious and not so serious. Between 13-16 it was really bad then 16-18 it was okay. 18-22 has been really difficult again and in the past few months I've had more urges than ever before and I want to tell someone about it. I've never told anyone about it and am scared of upsetting my friends. Would you want to know if your friend was self harming? I just don't want to make them sad or to make it seem like I'm attention seeking. I really don't know who to approach.

I was in a similar situation a few years back (I'm now 25) and I've found having a couple of good friends who know the score is really helpful. We don't really talk about it but they know what it means when I say I've had a "bad day" or "hurt myself" (I find it hard to be explicit) and it's made moving to a new university where no one knows a little easier because I can still contact those people if I need to talk to someone who knows.

It would be a good idea to see your GP if you don't have any medical support at the moment, as well.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi Flobee22,

Welcome to TheSite from me too :wave: You've come to the right place to talk about this, so hope you have found it useful so far.

As **Dot.Dot** says we have got some great info on TheSite about Self harm that you might find useful :thumb:

A lot of people find that talking to someone about their self harm can really help, and it sounds as though you are ready to start thinking about making this step. This article on confiding in someone is definitely worth looking at. Only you can decide who you feel most comfortable speaking to as it needs to be someone you trust and could be a close friend, a family member, tutor, or as **CupCake** says you can speak to your GP.

It's important to remember that by posting on these boards you are already speaking to other people and starting to talk about your feelings which is a great step on it's own. So please do continue posting and letting us know how you get on!

LauraO