Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey guys :)

I have a bit of a problem... basically me and this girl became really good friends pretty quickly since i moved up to uni, she lives a few floors above me so i see her a lot. but for a month/month and a half we have been slightly more than friends, and over the last few weeks even though we are single it feels like we go out. So last night we decided to make a go of it, and see how it goes up until summer - since over summer we wont really be seeing much of each other.

The problem is i'm not out to my friends back home or my family, and i feel like i should at least tell my mum before i move back up for uni tomorrow. But i genuinely don't know if i can tell her, I don't even know how to bring it up... I don't even know what i am yet, i just know i like this girl so i kind of want to say the whole 'this hasn't changed me, i'm still me this doesn't mean i wont be with a guy but at the minute i like her'.

I can't figure out if i just don't want to tell mum because i'm not ready or because i'm scared to tell her, i have no idea how she will react at all. I know only i can make the decision to tell her, but like what should i do? haha. Or what are good ways to bring it up? :nervous:

Comments

• Options
    I don't even know what i am yet, i just know i like this girl so i kind of want to say the whole 'this hasn't changed me, i'm still me this doesn't mean i wont be with a guy but at the minute i like her'.

i think you should say something just like that.

once you get home and have said hello to everyone and settled back in, ask your mum for a quiet word and tell her that you're seeing a girl, but that it's not serious and you're seeing how it goes. it sounds like you do want her to know, so it's probably best to mention it quite soon after you get back so that you're not worrying about it. and your mum will probably appreciate your honesty.
  • Options
    Whatever you tell them, don't waffle on about it.
  • Options
    NAUN!! *HUGS* good to see you!

I agree with the above advice, just 'go with the flow' with the girl, whatever makes you happy!!

tell your mum you are seeing her but, yeh.. you are not committed to one orientation, just testing it all out :)
  • Options
    Not much to add, but :heart: to you Naun!
  • Options
    When I told my mum, I was just like 'If I had a girlfriend, would you be as nice to her as if she was a boyfriend?' And then it just kind of carried on from there.

Good luck :heart:
  • Options
    Allow her to ask you questions.
  • Options
    Honestly, beeing raised by a mom thats gay makes Me wonder Why one should even have to explain things like these.. Maybe it's just me though..

Go for it!
  • Options
    Hey naun :wave: just thought I'd check in and see how things are going? Did you manage to speak to your mum? I hope it went ok if you did and if not then there'll be other opportunities to talk - if the time didn't feel quite right when it came to it then that's ok *hug*

Approaching it in the way the others have suggested sounds like really good advice - just that you like this girl at the moment and you wanted to be upfront about it - you don't have to have all the answers. And whatever happens try not to let it distract from enjoying this new relationship ;)
  • Options
    hey guys thanks :D
    I've not told her yet, it was my last night with her for a few months so i thought it maybe wasn't the best time.
    thank you :heart:
  • Options
    I probably wouldn't say anything unless it progressed.