Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Alternatives to GCSE English?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I did an Access Course 2 years ago and did GCSE level English alongside. I was told that my qualification expires within 5 years after completing the course. I've done GCSE English twice and got a D both times.

I'm having a look at English courses and alternatives to GCSE - I would prefer one without exams.

I've had a quick look online and there's something called IELTS and some sort of Cambridge qualification. Do employers (in general) accept these instead of GCSE?

I know they do GCSE English and Adult Literacy at the college I did my Access Course at. However, because of problems with lack of reasonable adjustments, (despite quoting what was then disability discrimination act) being called a liar and being ignored when it came to me telling them what I needed, there's no way I can go back there. I know the same thing will happen again and I really don't want to go through all that again. We seem to only have one college (despite Plymouth being a fairly big city - although it is the edge of nowhere) and I'd rather not travel 20 odd miles each week or whatever to a strange place. There are meant to be other places (adult education centres) that offer English courses; but the details of these haven't been released yet.

I know another alternative might be long distance learning. I'm doing this at the moment with the OU and am quite enjoying it. Does anyone have any experience of doing GCSEs via long distance learning? And what would happen in regards to exams? I don't have exams for the module I'm doing. If I did, I've been told that they can be done at home and that I can have extra time and rest breaks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    I've had a quick look online and there's something called IELTS and some sort of Cambridge qualification. Do employers (in general) accept these instead of GCSE?

IELTS is an EFL qualification, so not relevant to you. I assume the Cambridge qualification you're referring to is iGCSE. It is a GCSE alternative, but the standard and assessment will be very similar.
    If anything, IGCSEs usually are more exam centered and less coursework based.
    If anything, IGCSEs usually are more exam centered and less coursework based.

I think ICS now offer IGCSE English Language and not the GCSE. I'm not fussed about coursework; as I always do better in coursework than exams.
    In which case IGCSEs are the last thing you want. Most of them have no coursework and entirely exam assessed.
    Be careful when it comes to the IGCSE English, at my school it was the option used if English was the students' second language or if the student couldn't manage the level of GCSE English lang/lit. I know my sister did it because she was lazy and wouldn't put in the work necessary for these particular GCSE's.

As part of my uni graduation requirements i had to do the IELTS (English was a second language to most students there) and to put it into perspective, i got AA in GCSE English lang/lit and got an 8.5 on a scale of 9. There is no coursework or any amount of literature involved in this course, it is solely exam based. So this may not be an option for you, it is essentially an assesment of communicative English.
    Study very hard, and re do, GCSE English, i know this isn't the answer you're looking for, it's probably the best. Pay for a tutor, i found someone you know who has very good English skills. I'm awful at English, and in school, every piece of coursework i did came out at a D grade, although some how i managed to do well in the exam and get a C grade.

You just really have to work at things, and study really really hard. Go over everything again, no matter what courses you do for English, they're still going to test the same things.

Sorry if this isn't the right answer, just my thoughts.
    Get someone else to do your coursework, at A grade level. Then take the exam and get your D. That should balance out at a reasonable mark then, huh? Or is that... wrong?
    katralla wrote: »
    Get someone else to do your coursework, at A grade level. Then take the exam and get your D. That should balance out at a reasonable mark then, huh? Or is that... wrong?

lol, just a bit naughty!