Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tricky situation with a workmate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys

As some of you might know, I share ownership of a house with my dad, and I live in the house and manage the tenancies etc. One of my tenants is moving out at the end of April, and a new workmate said she was up for moving in. At the time she seemed great, and so I agreed, thinking it would save me the hunt for a tenant and dealing with viewings etc.

This morning I've had to talk to my boss about some really awful behaviour from this girl at work. She doesn't know I've done this and my boss has agreed to manage the situation so that she doesn't know the information came from me. I won't/can't go into the details here, but suffice it to say I'm seriously worried about her moving in.

Trouble is, she's already given in her notice at her current flat, so I don't know how I can get out of her moving in. A friend suggested I tell her that my current tenant isn't moving out, but she's bound to see my place advertised if she starts hurriedly looking for a new place herself.

Any ideas?

ETA: Mods, please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place! Don't know if it should be under Work, Home, or Relationships as it seems to involve all three!

Comments

• Options
    options

1: tell the truth
    2: move to a new place yourself
    3:do what your friend suggest.
    4: do as your friend suggests but don't put up an add. tell friends to ask their friends if they're looking for a place to move to.

You better do something before the shit hits the fan though. shitstorms do suck.

hope it turns out to the better!
  • Options
    Lie to her and tell us what her behaviour was that you had to report- I am nosey.
  • Options
    Tell her the current person isn't moving out straight away - really sorry, know it sucks, nothing you can do. Do it today. You can even go as far as helping her search through ads for somewhere else to go.

Then slowly go about looking for a new tenant, like others have said, by spreading the word, but hang on for a couple of weeks if you can. You seem really worried about her moving in, will ends meet without a months rent from a tenant if it ends up like that to avoid having someone you know is going to cause you problems?
  • Options
    Tell her the current person isn't moving out straight away - really sorry, know it sucks, nothing you can do. Do it today. You can even go as far as helping her search through ads for somewhere else to go.

Then slowly go about looking for a new tenant, like others have said, by spreading the word, but hang on for a couple of weeks if you can. You seem really worried about her moving in, will ends meet without a months rent from a tenant if it ends up like that to avoid having someone you know is going to cause you problems?
    :yes:
  • Options
    You seem really worried about her moving in, will ends meet without a months rent from a tenant if it ends up like that to avoid having someone you know is going to cause you problems?

Ends will meet but it'll be tough and it'll mean my other tenant will have to cough up extra for that month's bills as they'll be split between two of us rather than three.

She's now been suspended so I think I'm just going to say it's going to be too difficult given circumstances at work - that's fair enough, isn't it? Much as she's committed some significant misconduct, I don't want to make her feel worse if I can help it.
  • Options
    What does it matter if she commits "significant misconduct" at work? Does that mean she'd be a bad flatmate?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Spliffie wrote: »
    What does it matter if she commits "significant misconduct" at work? Does that mean she'd be a bad flatmate?
    It might, depending on what it is she did.
  • Options
    Ends will meet but it'll be tough and it'll mean my other tenant will have to cough up extra for that month's bills as they'll be split between two of us rather than three.

She's now been suspended so I think I'm just going to say it's going to be too difficult given circumstances at work - that's fair enough, isn't it? Much as she's committed some significant misconduct, I don't want to make her feel worse if I can help it.
    Sounds reasonable, yeah.

If its like that, then you can start replacement hunting energetically straight away rather than needing to wait too, so might not end up with the room empty for too long.
  • Options
    Did she sign a rental agreement of any sort, or did you receive a portion of the rent already? I'm not 100% on this, but even though she may have given her notice at her current residence, if neither of you have signed an agreement of any sort and no money (rent, deposit, etc) has exchanged hands, you're not obligated to have her as a tenant, are you?
  • Options
    lcs77180 wrote: »
    Did she sign a rental agreement of any sort, or did you receive a portion of the rent already? I'm not 100% on this, but even though she may have given her notice at her current residence, if neither of you have signed an agreement of any sort and no money (rent, deposit, etc) has exchanged hands, you're not obligated to have her as a tenant, are you?

You're absolutely right - nothing was signed and I had no legal obligation to her, I just didn't much like the thought of leaving someone with nowhere to live, regardless of what she'd done.

She was suspended last week pending investigation and I sent her a text saying that due to the situation at work I thought it was best that we found different living arrangements for the end of the month. She's not allowed to contact any of us so I figured that was the most fire-proof way of dealing with it for the time being. If she comes back to work then things will be pretty damn nasty for me, but I don't think there's much chance of that happening.
  • Options
    I really really haaaaaaaaave to know what she did... I know, I know, nosey but still- fill us in?
  • Options
    I second that