Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Presentation tips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys :)

I have got a REALLY BIG presentation coming up. I have to present some shizz to some important people (hospital managers, consultants etc). Not going to lie, I'm terrified :p

I've done quite a few presentations before, at school we did loads, and also a few small ones on my course, but nothing really compares to this. I think I know the basics.... no OTT powerpoints, not too much text on the slides, not reading off the slides etc etc.

I'm not really sure what I'm asking, but I was wondering is there anything else I should be aware of? I've never done presentations in the work environment and if there is anyone who does this sort of thing as a part of their job I'd be really grateful for any pointers of what works well from people's experiences and that sort of thing....

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    TBH It's not much different to the basic you mention... don't animate too much, use slides a bullet points to support what you say. Images are good for doing that as much as words are.

Personally I have a small gag at the start just to get their attention, it's usually about myself and my job.

Managers and consultants are used to presentations...
    I've done a fair few recently for work stuff after leaving uni not that long ago. I know I'm a nightmare to get hold of, but evenings this week should be better.

The general tips are don't over fill your slides. Don't just read what's written on your slides. Don't have too many slides, and practise. Ideally to a person, and to yourself in the mirror.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey yellowseahorse,

Have you seen these tips on TheSite about making a great presentation? I think they are pretty comprehensive and useful.

Personally, I have done a few presentation before at interviews and also when delivering training, and I still get nervous but I think the most important things to remember are not to speak too quickly (pausing and breathing is fine and recommended :) ) and also leave time at the end for questions, and so you don't run over. I also completely agree with the others' when they say don't put too much on each slide - a couple of bullet points is fine and they can act as prompts for what you say.

But most of all try and enjoy it (as hard as that may seem), making a presentation like this is brilliant experience and you'll be gaining or developing loads of skills. Best of luck :thumb: and let us know how it goes!

LauraO
    In my experience of giving and sitting through many, many presentations, one of the most common mistakes people make is speaking FAR too quickly. This is usually because they are nervous, and end up rushing to get to the end as soon as possible. It can also be because they haven't prepared their material properly to fit into the time allotted, have far too much written down than can be said in the time, so they race through it.

So, here's my big tip for preventing this, and I guarantee it works. You have to make yourself speak slowly. The way to do this is to speak at a pace that in your head, while you are giving the presentation, seems ludicrously slowly. Concentrate hard on speaking slowly, so slowly that to you it seems ridiculous. And that will be the right pace to speak at.

Sounds silly I know, but people often tell me that I deliver my presentations well, and that's my secret.