Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Stomach toning advice needed!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone.

I'd really like to flatten and tone my stomach...but I'd rather not lose weight from anywhere else. Is that possible?

I'm a size 8, but I'd say my waist area is a size 10. That's not big in the grand scheme of things, but it's so untoned and to me, it feels huge and uncomfortable. It can also make buying jeans and trousers a nightmare.

I know I'd feel so much better if I did it, but I'm not very patient with exercise and think I'll find it hard to have to wait several months before seeing any results.

Any advice, tips or encouragement would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nicole25 wrote: »

I'd really like to flatten and tone my stomach...but I'd rather not lose weight from anywhere else. Is that possible?

No.

What you can do is do cardio to burn fat and exercises for your stomach like situps, crunches, etc. you can look many of those up on the internet. Important is that you don't overdo it. If you over-exercise your stomach the muscle growth will be impeded. This is especially valid for the stomach because you have a lot of auxiliary muscles nearby that help you keeping up exercises when your stomach muscle is already exhausted. So not much more than 10-15 minutes every day.

If you have a lot of gut fat, chances are you have fat on other places too, so you need to regulate your fat intake and exercise. There is no way to selectively burn fat at certain spots. That said, if you do exercises which build muscle you will have a hard time losing weight, because muscle tissue is heavier than fat tissue, but you will look more toned.
    I don't have 'a lot' of gut fat...but it could definitely be much more toned. I have minimal fat elsewhere, so I would really like to keep hold of that lol. I'm not into the size zero look.

And it's not 'weight' that I want to lose, so the fact muscle weighs more doesn't matter.

I guess I'll just have to try some regular exercises and see how I get on. I'm just not exactly sure which ones are the most effective, and I never feel as though I'm doing them properly.
    Nicole25 wrote: »
    I don't have 'a lot' of gut fat...but it could definitely be much more toned. I have minimal fat elsewhere, so I would really like to keep hold of that lol. I'm not into the size zero look.

And it's not 'weight' that I want to lose, so the fact muscle weighs more doesn't matter.

I guess I'll just have to try some regular exercises and see how I get on. I'm just not exactly sure which ones are the most effective, and I never feel as though I'm doing them properly.

You will never get to a size zero with work-out. Only if you emaciate yourself. Eat less fatty foods, more protein and do cardio. That is, running, biking, etc. Take a photo of you in undies in front of a big mirror and repeat that after a month of work-out and you will see a significant difference. Otherwise, just send me the photo of you in undies, I will be the judge of that!

For toning abs, just google. There are plenty of guides. Just read a few and compare. If you are not planning to be Ms. Universe there is not a whole lot you have to heed.
    Hi
    If u want flat abs do not do any sit ups or crunches this can actually make your tummy muscles pop out and look bigger.
    If u have no fat but just need to tone i would recommentd yoga or pilates it strenghthens the inner core muscles and this will also make u lean and long.
    I am the same size as you and i also found buying jeans and trousers difficult i know have a super flat tummy and a nice shaped waist goodluck. x
    flowergirl wrote: »
    If u want flat abs do not do any sit ups or crunches this can actually make your tummy muscles pop out and look bigger.
    x

Umm what?

I have never heard of muscles "popping out" and looking bigger than gut fat. In the end it's a long-ish journey to toned abs anyway. You won't wake up one morning and be ripped beyond measure. When you are satisfied with what you got, you can work out less.
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    For toning abs, just google. There are plenty of guides. Just read a few and compare.

I do this allllll the time...there are so many different guides it gets confusing :confused: But I guess I will never know if I never try!
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Umm what?

I have never heard of muscles "popping out" and looking bigger than gut fat. In the end it's a long-ish journey to toned abs anyway. You won't wake up one morning and be ripped beyond measure. When you are satisfied with what you got, you can work out less.

If you do muscle building exercises concentrating on your stomach, your stomach will get bigger- last thing you want when you are aiming for a flatter stomach. Much better to lose fat with cardio and concentrate on creating a strong core or brace of muscles around the middle.
    katralla wrote: »
    If you do muscle building exercises concentrating on your stomach, your stomach will get bigger- last thing you want when you are aiming for a flatter stomach. Much better to lose fat with cardio and concentrate on creating a strong core or brace of muscles around the middle.

I think this is true i do lots of stomach crunches and people keep on asking me when my baby is due. I need to do more yoga (i'm currently working building up my core strenght through doing the plank)
    It seems to be different for different people. The main issue is that if you build up stomach muscles without losing the fat, you just end up with the fat sitting on top of the muscles, making you look bigger. I'm having a similar problem with my moobs- as I build muscle on my upper chest and arms, some of the flab is still sitting there on top of the muscle.
    I think the easy answer is that it depends on your body fat, and where you'e carrying it.
    That's definitely true, muscle does add bulk (and weight, which is irrelevant). I'm just not sure how else to flatten/tone my stomach? It's really difficult, because I think I'd need to get down to around 8 stone to have minimal fat in that area, and at 5'6'', the rest of me would just look gaunt. Maybe it's just not possible! :no:
    Huh? :yeees: