Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Eyes/ Contact Lenses....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok who has good contact lens knowledge?! I went to the opticians for a contact lens appointment to check my eyes are still happy with the lenses I have.

Apparently, I had dry patches on my eye (not meant to be there...) so they suggested I chuck my current solution and start with a new one. I've been on the current solution for a while without this being pointed out before and was wondering, because I didn't sleep well last night and I feel tired today (including my eyes) could that have made a big difference to how my eyes looked to the optician?

I have to go back next weekend after a week of new solution to see if it has helped but I have so much of the old solution left (about £20 worth) I don't want to chuck it away!

I'm really scared she may say I have to go back to glasses (she's already recommended one day a week with glasses :grump:) and I hate wearing them. HATE it. It's taken me so long to be semi-alright with my appearance that wearing glasses really hits me hard and knocks me back. Crazy but true.

Comments

• Options
    heya :-)

I wear contact lenses alot, i also have the same problem, i have a dry patch. i kinda have tried to listen to what my option has said about not wearing them as much but it is difficult when you're so used to wearing them! I'm also a dancer so cant wear glasses alot.

Is there a day where you just have a stay at home day where you just relax, maybe a sunday??? maybe if knowone sees you, wear them then. also maybe when you are back from gogin out take your lenses out as soon as you get home and avoid wearing them when you're tired or too late at night because thats when your eyes will get the most dry.

Also maybe save up for some cool glasses that you actually like, i have a pair that i like now and don't mind people seeing me in them as I used to be insecure about my glasses aswell.

Hope this has kinda helped, you may know all this already, as far as the solution goes, I don't think it matters about changing your solution because it is all sealed up with a lid, and make sure you wash your hands before putting your lenses in :-)

ok hope its goes better for you

Anna
    xx
  • Options
    Thanks Anna! I do actually have glasses I like, but I just don't think they look as good as no glasses do (I don't mean it to sound like I am appearance- obsessed, but I do find I think more negatively of myself when I am wearing them and it means me very self-conscious. If that makes sense?) .

I guess I could find part of a day at the weekend even if it's not a whole day not to wear them, every little helps.... maybe.

The optician thinks I may be reacting to the actual solution and the preservatives they use in in, hence changing brands. But I am not so convinced otherwise would this problem not have occurred before? Hence why I was thinking tiredness could have caused dryness?
  • Options
    I've found that being tired does cause my eyes to become dry.

Can you manage at all without glasses / contacts? Just thinking that you could wear the contacts and then nothing to give your eyes a break.
  • Options
    I try to wear my glasses when I'm at home to give my eyes a rest. I also make sure putting my lenses in is the last thing I do in the morning. I'm not sure about your specific problem, but doing this should help in general.
  • Options
    I had to change my solution to this peroxide stuff, so perhaps thats what you are doing.

The new solution was fine, but you do need to leave your lenses in it for 8 hours minimum. Otherwise (as everyone finds out) your eyes sting like fuck when you put your lenses in after less than 8 hours.

Bit of a pain if you've had a late night and need to be up early.

You could just get your eyes lasered and you dont need to worry about all this. :thumb:
  • Options
    thanks guys, maybe I do wear them too much... I shall try and cut down.

I have thought about laser surgery but at the moment it's too expensive to consider more seriously. But am keeping it in mind for later on in life :)
  • Options
    all the cool kids wear glasses, even dancers ;)
  • Options
    It's very possible that the dryness could have built up over time as your eyes get irritated by that particular solution. Equally it might be a one off from the tiredness.

You can always try a week of the new solution, see if that fixes the problem, and then consider what to do rather than chucking the bottles now.

Cutting down the amount you wear your contacts can make a big difference, so putting them in last thing before you go out in the morning, rather than first thing after getting out of bed. And again, in the evenings when you're at home, will it actually make any difference to you to be wearing glasses if no ones going to see you and you will hardly see yourself in the mirror? That one might be easier to achieve than a whole day without.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

:thumb:

I've never worn contacts, never saw the point. Given the amount of contact threads I've seen over the years, I am more comfortable with that decision than ever.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

well I am not cool, nor am I a dancer :p

I like that idea, maybe I will keep the old solution and use it every now and again until it runs out, then change permanently. She implied it would probably affect my eyes in the long term (assuming it's not tiredness), but if i finish the bottles slowly maybe that gives me the best of both?!

I live in a shared house, so people see me even in the evenings, but I guess my flatmates won't mind my glasses, i just have to try not to make it a big deal in my head.

thanks guys!