Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The job centre

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wanted to get some feedback from those who have signed on in the past or who are signing on now.

Basically how do you find them ?

Helpful/the opposite ?

I can only talk of one job centre, but I just wonder if most people have similar experiences.

I don't think they provide much help at all.

Comments

• Options
    Do you ask for help? I've asked for help and got it. The only problem I've had is that I wasn't told that I didn't have to turn up to sign on.

They are generally helpful.
  • Options
    Generally all that happens is they say 'what have you done to find work?' Or maybe 'what websites have you used ?'

They generally leave you to get on with it without signposting you to other organisations or sources of help.

I just think they could be a hell of a lot better as they are the first port of call for people looking for work. Speaking to other people recently they don't the job centre are very good either.

Apart from getting the money I have no other reason to go there.
  • Options
    My experience was better than most. The staff were fairly nice to me and I was never treated badly. However there was little they could do to help me. I think if you can read and write, do basic maths, string a sentence together, use the internet and dont have any major drug or alcohol problems then there is pretty much nothing they can do for you. Maybe its better now but I got the impression that they had no idea how to deal with all these new types of unemployed people.
  • Options
    mark1984 wrote: »
    They generally leave you to get on with it without signposting you to other organisations or sources of help.

They don't have time. I'm lucky if I'm asked more than "what have you done this week?"
  • Options
    The staff are quite nice generally at the job centre I've been to. But I've heard bad things from people who have used other job centres. They haven't been treated well sometimes.

I still think they could do more to help people though. I know they don't have a lot of time, but they could still suggest places you could go for help or have a list of training providers printed off for you. Maybe tell you of a job club that they know about. Even if it was just a few snippets of information.

I think things could be improved - generally people just go there to collect the money they need.
  • Options
    Do you ever ask? Or do you just expect them to tell you? I've asked and got what I've asked for. (apart from one thing - although that's not their fault)
  • Options
    No I've not asked. Maybe if I ask it may be beneficial. But I still think that they could be a lot better in the service they provide to people.

A friend I was speaking to the other day was thinking along the same lines as me that they don't provide a very good service.

Maybe you do have certain expectations, but I think they could do more to help without having to ask.
  • Options
    They have time at my job centre to pass me to other organizations for job hunting. They even look into the Future Job Fund (which is ended now I believe, will be fully gone in the next few months because of the Tories plans). You can always ask, if they don't help you, they aren't doing their job. There are certain things I've had problems with, but my current advisor always goes out her way to help me, my past ones haven't been much help though. When I don't go with my current advisor for whatever reason, and I have to see someone else, all I get is the "What have you done for work?", then that's it and I leave. Even if I ask can we jobsearch I get told to use the job points, which I do anyway.

On average I spend an hour with my advisor, max I've spent with her was 1:30 hours. Their time allotment varies from job centre. When I was down south in Reading I had to sign on, they weren't helpful and had no time for you, even though I waited for 40 minutes. The staff I spoke to didn't speak very good English either so that didn't help.
  • Options
    I think with the job centre, as will all things in life, there will be bad ones and good ones. However (im not accusing anyone of this) you cant expect to always have things handed to you, effort even if just a little bit still needs to be applied.
  • Options
    Exactly G.

They don't have long to do things with you. I've always found that if I want help, I have to set up another appointment.
  • Options
    I figure you go there to sign on, and you go to a recruitment agency to get sme work.
  • Options
    The coalition government slashed a lot in to what the Jobcentre can do to help people... This includes funding for training and often for travel, uniform and other expenses.

I guess the function now, is to use the resources they have to help where they can and for people to prove to the Jobcentre, that they are looking for work.
    They don't have long to do things with you. I've always found that if I want help, I have to set up another appointment.
    :yes: It's a problem with the government targets and the people on top, not just the ordinary staff. Like many front line public sector departments, the workload is huge. Of all the departments, DWP has the highest absence for sickness, mainly due to stress (hence the call centre strikes a few months back). If one person is absent, they do not block out the diary, but give to other people who may already be juggling two diaries themselves...

I know people on the inside... Some have gotten sick with stress from high workload, or not had breaks, or hate their jobs.

I can see why people are frustrated in this climate and obviously, I am not excusing crappy behaviour from advisers, if they are bullies... But I do think that people can have too high expectations of what people can do with their resources and sometimes, give people a hard time who work in Jobcentres (not on this thread specifically, but in general).
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    When I was down south in Reading I had to sign on, they weren't helpful and had no time for you, even though I waited for 40 minutes.

That's not always their fault. There isn't always enough time for the staff to do everything they need to do, and so run over time. This has happened to me before. Sometimes, they've only had time to say "you need to attend this" and that's all they have time for. No time to check that I've done things the previous 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Mine wasn't a normal sign on, I had to transfer my claim, which took them 2 days anyway when I was told it was almost instant. They just weren't a good job centre. It wasn't busy in the slightest, lots of advisors were just standing around talking, even after I had waited and been seen to. I know normally it isn't their fault, but when people don't do their job, it causes queues and long waiting times.
  • Options
    I know someone who really tried to get all the help he could from his jobcentre in terms of training and getting a job but felt more like they just wanted to process him and give him JSA then send him on his way rather than actually helping him to get a job.
  • Options
    JanePerson wrote: »
    I know someone who really tried to get all the help he could from his jobcentre in terms of training and getting a job but felt more like they just wanted to process him and give him JSA then send him on his way rather than actually helping him to get a job.

They're not there to find you a job.
  • Options
    Yeah they are, to a degree. They aren't meant to spoon feed you jobs, but their role is to find you work/training.
  • Options
    Their job is to point you in the direction of where you may find jobs or training.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Their job is to point you in the direction of where you may find jobs or training.

They failed to do this.
  • Options
    just treat job centre staff as signer oners and get your own job. I was talking to the guy who signed me ona few weeks ago about working in recruitment and he said he was too scared to do it. That's right, not suited to recruitment. They're... pen pushers.
  • Options
    They failed to do this.

How proactive were you in looking at job vacancies, job papers, sending in CV's to places?

I have signed on before, albeit was only for a short period, but I have never used the job centre to find a job. I have also never been out of work for any massive long period which I guess I'm lucky for, but you dont have to totally rely on the job centre.

The onus is on YOU to get the job.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    How proactive were you in looking at job vacancies, job papers, sending in CV's to places?

I have signed on before, albeit was only for a short period, but I have never used the job centre to find a job. I have also never been out of work for any massive long period which I guess I'm lucky for, but you dont have to totally rely on the job centre.

The onus is on YOU to get the job.

Exactly.

Where I am, they see around 5000 people per week for signing on. They really don't have the time to go through job searches with everyone.

They did find me my last job; but haven't (not complaining, mind) really found me anything suitable. That, as far as I'm concerned, is what I must do.
  • Options
    Seeing as it wasnt me that had this experience and it was one of my friends I cant answer that. I actually found them quite good at giving me suggestions on where to look for work and even some surprisingly good advice compared to the advice given at uni. However it really varies and I think what bothered my friend more was that they seemed to regard him as a lazy parasite when he was someone who actually wanted to be in work.
  • Options
    Seeing as it wasnt me that had this experience and it was one of my friends I cant answer that. I actually found them quite good at giving me suggestions on where to look for work and even some surprisingly good advice compared to the advice given at uni. However it really varies and I think what bothered my friend more was that they seemed to regard him as a lazy parasite when he was someone who actually wanted to be in work.

Well if he isnt a lazy parasite then he should know that the onus is always on him to do things for himself :)
  • Options
    Job searching through the jobcentre is a waste of time, as all the jobs on offer there are for minimum wage/part time staff. They offer nothing at all for graduates and professionals.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Well if he isnt a lazy parasite then he should know that the onus is always on him to do things for himself :)

He was very clueless though. Neither of his parents are in work and the uni advice was pretty useless for people graduating into a recession. He needed some realistic advice about the situation in the current job market.

The point was that he was keen to find work and open to suggestions and they just fobbed him off. Whats the point in sending people for these meetings and interviews if they are just going to be fobbed off. They might as well just hand you the money.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    My sister recently found the job centre very useful. they didn't actually find her a job but put on a workshop where they helped her with mock interviews, interview techniques and cv advice. Said it made her much more confident in interviews, and she now has an excellent job.

Worth noting that it must be quite depressing for job centre staff. They have to deal with some serious low lifes - all the people that don't want to work but still want to sign on.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    My sister recently found the job centre very useful. they didn't actually find her a job but put on a workshop where they helped her with mock interviews, interview techniques and cv advice. Said it made her much more confident in interviews, and she now has an excellent job.

I've not taken those things up (I probably should) but they have been offered to me.
  • Options
    Job searching through the jobcentre is a waste of time, as all the jobs on offer there are for minimum wage/part time staff. They offer nothing at all for graduates and professionals.

And then imagine you're looking for something graduate and part time... worse than useless.
  • Options
    Some jobs are so part time that they hardly seem worth it. Where I work they are advertising for a vacancy thats something like 6 hours per week. Maybe I have a really bad attitude but 6 hours per week hardly seems worth the effort of filling out an application and going to an interview.