Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

new camera, small yet powerful.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The wife is looking for a new camera, a small yet power one she doesn't have to lug around with the kids.

We were looking at the Sony cybershot H55, seems a good camera and we have a older cybershot already, however whilst reviews do say this is good, it is apparently an older model.

Laura is looking for high resolution, as a lot of the images will be made into canvas/posters and a good zoom, she says 10x but I swear 7 would be enough.

Above got some good recommendations, ideally we would stick with Sony as we have a good collection of pro duo cards.

Comments

• Options
    If you're happy with Sony then stick with them, they do produce very good compact cameras. Don't get suckered in though by how many megapixels it has. Image quality has nothing to do with them and everything to do with the CMOS sensor and processor the camera has. By that standard you'd be as well looking at Canon/Nikon compacts if you can afford to lose the memory cards.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If you're happy with Sony then stick with them, they do produce very good compact cameras. Don't get suckered in though by how many megapixels it has. Image quality has nothing to do with them and everything to do with the CMOS sensor and processor the camera has. By that standard you'd be as well looking at Canon/Nikon compacts if you can afford to lose the memory cards.

oh, who,I know megapixels isn't everything but for large canvas prints a high resolution is must.

I would prefer Sony but will check Canon and NIKON out, however me and NIKON have had a bad history.

Katralla, thanks but 4x zoom is way to low.. cheers,
  • Options
    Have you looked at Fujifilm? I have one (Finepix J20) but it's only 4x zoom.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    oh, who,I know megapixels isn't everything but for large canvas prints a high resolution is must.,

Just making sure :thumb:

Btw, ignore Melian and steer clear from Fuji. Pictures are awful. Exposure, colours, contrast all wrong and the amount of fringing and vignetting on some photos, eurgh.

No offence Melian, I'm a camera snob :P
  • Options
    Just making sure :thumb:

Btw, ignore Melian and steer clear from Fuji. Pictures are awful. Exposure, colours, contrast all wrong and the amount of fringing and vignetting on some photos, eurgh.

Tbh, I'm very picky with cameras and usually stick to Canon, like my SLR or Sony. Ha :p cannot stand Fuji cameras either..

Went with the Sony H55, this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0033VKKB2/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1299744274&sr=8-1
  • Options
    Fujifilm Finepiz z20FD
    I have a pink one... She can buy it off me!! :d
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Tbh, I'm very picky with cameras and usually stick to Canon, like my SLR

what you got?
  • Options

Charming:p I've never had any problems with my Fjui. Although I guess it does depend what you want from a camera. For me, it was more because I just wanted to take photos when I was at uni - nothing special really.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Charming:p I've never had any problems with my Fjui. Although I guess it does depend what you want from a camera. For me, it was more because I just wanted to take photos when I was at uni - nothing special really.

Like I said, when it comes to cameras I'm a snob lol. I'm all for Canon when it comes to SLR and Canon/Sony (carl zeiss lenses are excellent) for compacts.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

Do you use this?

I'm looking for something that is good for taking on demonstrations, or to sporting events...
  • Options
    I use a Panasonic Lumix, which has a Leica lens and has (touch wood) been pretty bomb-proof.

Having said that, it only has 3x optical zoom and I think in an ideal world you'd want 4 or 5
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Do you use this?

I'm looking for something that is good for taking on demonstrations, or to sporting events...

older model but <3
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Alexis332,

Welcome to the boards and thanks for posting :)

Just to let you know, we generally try and avoid brining up old threads.
    This thread is a couple of years old, so it'd probably best to start your own thread if you want to talk about photography/cameras etc. ;)

I'm closing this now, but do start a new one if you like!

JPick
This discussion has been closed.