Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anyone be my reference?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's very hard to find anyone willing to recommend me for any job after the way I treated them. So you guys?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think anyone here (people who have never met you, and hardly know you) would make good referees for you.
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    Ok so how do I get the ppl I treated like crap on my side again. The application needs 4 references and I only have 2.
  • Options
    youre screwed. Thats the sort of thing you need to think of in advance, or try and find a job that isnt so stringent about references first.
  • Options
    Do you hear that?

It's the sound of chickens coming home to roost.
  • Options
    youre screwed. Thats the sort of thing you need to think of in advance, or try and find a job that isnt so stringent about references first.

like Wendy's?
  • Options
    It's inappropriate to ask. Your reference should be an employer or someone else who has a professional relationship with you.

References
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    It's inappropriate to ask. Your reference should be an employer or someone else who has a professional relationship with you.

References

Everyone's who's ever had a professional relationship with me don't like me bc of certain shit.
  • Options

References

They don't have to be. I got a reference from the officer at my church as I didn't really have anyone else to ask. It's hard to get a reference when you haven't worked or studied for years.
  • Options
    Most people on here would probably recommend that you should be avoided until you have dealt with your problems.

Seriously learn to see things from others point of view. If you treat people like shit then they will not have positive things to say about you, most 5 year olds could understand that. Grow up and drop this victim mentality.
  • Options
    Like Suzy said, this is the kind of thing you need to think about before yelling and swearing like a fishwife (or whatever the saying is)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    They don't have to be. I got a reference from the officer at my church as I didn't really have anyone else to ask. It's hard to get a reference when you haven't worked or studied for years.

That's a form of professional relationship that would be ok for a character reference and if you've been out of work for a time, but the OP has been in work.
  • Options
    That's a form of professional relationship that would be ok for a character reference and if you've been out of work for a time, but the OP has been in work.

I quit May of last year and hadn't found another job, even after 8 interviews.
  • Options
    I quit May of last year and hadn't found another job, even after 8 interviews.

I think in that circumstance, if you don't give your last employer as at least one of these references they would be very suspicious.
  • Options
    I think in that circumstance, if you don't give your last employer as at least one of these references they would be very suspicious.

hence, this thread :)
  • Options
    hence, this thread :)

Well, yes, and that's my response. Your employer ought to give you a reference but I can't guarantee it would be a good one...

Do you know anyone else in a professional capacity who can provide the other two? Teachers / professors, a minister, anyone like that?
  • Options
    Well, yes, and that's my response. Your employer ought to give you a reference but I can't guarantee it would be a good one...

Do you know anyone else in a professional capacity who can provide the other two? Teachers / professors, a minister, anyone like that?

See, my teachers don't like me bc of my rage issues at school, so not really.
  • Options
    See, my teachers don't like me bc of my rage issues at school, so not really.

Have you asked? Sometimes what teachers present and what they think are disconnected.
  • Options
    everyone here knows your rage issues too, so hows that going to get you a good reference, unless you want someone here to lie for you???

You may as well just make one up yourself
  • Options
    everyone here knows your rage issues too, so hows that going to get you a good reference, unless you want someone here to lie for you???

You may as well just make one up yourself

good point. Looks like I'll have to fill out apps that don't ask for reference.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: stoned_angel432

Piccolo and others have given you some great advice here :thumb: References are usually from a current or ex-employer, a tutor/teacher or someone else who knows you in a professional capacity. You may also be able to ask someone to give you a character reference, this is usually someone who is not immediate family and can vouch for your suitability to the role. So, as Piccolo says it's worth thinking about people who know you well who would recommend you for a job and ask them if they would be willing to give you a reference.

I'm not sure if you are based in the UK or not :chin: but if not then the rules around references might be different. If you are in the UK then definitely check out the article Piccolo linked to!

Most jobs will need references, so why not take a bit of time before filling in application forms to contact some people who might be able to help?

Because the reference needs to come from someone who knows your character and your ability to do the job noone from the boards would be able to do this for you, sorry.
  • Options
    Last I knew it was still illegal to give a bad reference. You can still ask an ex-employer or tutor, they aren't allowed to give you a bad reference. But the reference can still be bad (it won't be filled with the general good things, it just won't highlight the bad). Not giving your last employer as a reference option is still just as bad. Also putting referees on your applications without asking prior is a big no. If they don't give you a reference (for whatever reason, doesn't have to be bad), that can be taken badly by a future employer. Always ask first.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Last I knew it was still illegal to give a bad reference.

It is in the UK I don't know about the US
  • Options
    As far as I know it's only illegal to given an incorrect reference. Most employers avoid the whole aspect though and tend to stick to facts. (Eg was here for 2 years and absent x times, end of contract for x)
  • Options
    It's very hard to find anyone willing to recommend me for any job after the way I treated them. So you guys?

As if that's going to happen! You won't get anyone to be your reference here !!
  • Options
    Did you really expect people who have never met you to give you a reference?
  • Options
    In some parts of the US, an employer is supposed to only say that the person worked here for X time and she or he quit, was laid off, or was fired. Then the hiring business can ask if they are eligible for rehire. Not the reasons why or whether or not they were fired or a good employee. Does it happen like that? Usually not.

I will be honest, I wouldn't trust giving my personal info out to strangers on the Internet or even people I talk to that I haven't met offline regularly. The strangers would have to know personal details of your life like previous work history and your real name plus maybe a phone number.