Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hypothetical question about housing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Lets say hypothetically that my parents decided to kick me out and throw me on the mercy of the rental market. I don't earn enough to both rent my own flat and afford the costs of living (food, bills, travel to work, council tax and all that crap) and houseshares and few and far between due to lack of young adults in my town. Lets also say that my parents are not going to help me out with bills.

What would your advice be, would I qualify for housing benefit to help me pay my rent or would I have to go into a homeless shelter? I work full time, am single and have no children if that helps.

Comments

• Options
    youd probably have to look into bedsits or a room in a houseshare at first if you couldnt afford a flat.
    Luckily these often have bills included in the rent
  • Options
    The thing is I looked into houseshares when I first moved home and they are very rare. Its an area where its mostly families and middle aged professionals. Not the type to live in shared houses.
  • Options
    it might be worth going to the council and seeing if theyve got a list. They should do, or the local paper would usually have a day where they advertise lettings etc
  • Options
    Also worth checking local housing associations. They usually have accommodation reserved for people with local history.
  • Options
    Even as a single person? I would have thought I would have to have kids to get a council flat. This is hypothetical anyway but I am curious as to what would happen if I was chucked out of my parents house.
  • Options
    I doubt you'll get any help with rent if you work full-time.
  • Options
    Thats what I thought.
  • Options
    You could also try local newsagent windows sometimes rooms are advertised in them. I wouldn't discount the option of finding somewhere to live in your area either as there is a government rent your spare room out scheme (where you can rent up to a certain amount without incurring tax).

If you were really serious you could put leaflets through doors in areas where you wanted to live.
  • Options
    I did put an advert for a flatshare on the internet shortly after moving home, only had a handful of replies and none of them came to anything.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I doubt you'll get any help with rent if you work full-time.

It depends on how long you've had your job and what your pay is; it is worth asking because after 12 months in a minimum wage job I was entitled to a small amount of housing allowance.
  • Options
    If you are single and under 25 housing benefit would only cover a room in a shared house, not even a one-bedroom flat. You'd be expected to house share. On a low income you could still qualify for housing benefit, depending on your income and your rent.

In terms of homelessness provision, in theory the council would have a duty to house you if you had nowhere else to go, usually in a hostel at first. They would probably try and find you somewhere in the private rented market though, and housing offices carry lists of available properties for this very reason. You really wouldn't want to be in a hostel, trust me on that.

For more specific advice you could ring Shelter and IIRC AskTheSite has a housing law section answered by Shelter advisers.
  • Options
    JanePerson wrote: »
    Lets say hypothetically that my parents decided to kick me out and throw me on the mercy of the rental market. I don't earn enough to both rent my own flat and afford the costs of living (food, bills, travel to work, council tax and all that crap) and houseshares and few and far between due to lack of young adults in my town. Lets also say that my parents are not going to help me out with bills.

What would your advice be, would I qualify for housing benefit to help me pay my rent or would I have to go into a homeless shelter? I work full time, am single and have no children if that helps.

You can rent if you work full time. Bedsits can be covered by housing benefit but as I say if you're doing full time work you don't have to rely on benefits. If you're working even minimum wage u must clear roughly £800 a month? Find a rough area and rent shouldn't exceed £300. After council tax and bills you can just about get by on what's left.

If you get kicked out, I'd seriously consider moving to a large town or city, London aside. Plenty of cheap rents, bedsits, flatshare etc.
  • Options
    If you are single and under 25 housing benefit would only cover a room in a shared house, not even a one-bedroom flat. You'd be expected to house share.

That's going up to 35 next year unfortunately. :(
  • Options
    There might not be many house shares around, but a hunt around the local papers and newsagents may well find you houses that are looking for a lodger.
  • Options
    I did put an advert for a flatshare on the internet shortly after moving home, only had a handful of replies and none of them came to anything.

I really think you would find somewhere if you proactively went out and advertised that people could earn up to £4249 tax free a year by renting thier spare room out to you.

A lot of people might not have considered taking on a lodger but if you show them that its possible then particually in times of economic hardship i think you would get a good response.
  • Options
    Hey JanePerson,

You would like information about your housing options if you could no longer continue to live at your parents house. It is great to think ahead to avoid any hard times!

You don't mention where you're from so I will keep this general.

You may like to read the Shelter section on 'Finding a place to live'.

1.Privately rented
    See the Shelter page on renting privately; it includes several things you should think about before rented privately (for example if you can get housing benefit).
    But essentially, like Scary Monster and Wyetry said you can try looking in shop windows or newspapers.

2. Like Slartibartfast suggested; Housing Associations
    Again, see the Shelter guide - it's really useful. You can use the Tenant Services Authority website to find and compare registered housing associations in your area. You can also ask your local authority for a list of housing associations; they may be able to provide one.

3. You may be eligible for the Intermediate Scheme, which provides reduced rent for those who are eligible. The accommodation is provided by housing associations and you would receive an assured shorthold tenancy. To find out how to apply, visit the HomeBuy website.

4. Local Authority
    Local authority's do have a duty to assist certain people. To seek their help you would have to show the following;
    a. You are homeless or threatened with homelessness.
    b. You are eligible - e.g. immigration status
    c. You are in priority need - e.g. pregnant woman, or people with children
    d. You are NOT intentionally homeless - e.g. if you leave your parents home of your own accord you are likely to be deemed intentionally homeless.
    e. You have a local connection - you've lived in the area for 6months out of last year or your family has lived in the area for 3 years out of last 5 years.

To make a homeless persons application, ask your local authority for an application form.

I hope this helps :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Its made interesting reading.

I'm not in any danger of being thrown out of my parents house as we enjoy a close relationship and I think it would take a lot for them to even consider throwing me out. I made this thread after a discussion with my mother about the situation of young people being stuck with their parents due to high rent and low wages.

If I was in this situation I think what would concern me is that my local council estate is a terrifying place. They sometimes randomly attack cars. I would be very concerned for my safety if I was to be placed in shared housing.

I imagine if it came to it I might condiser trying to leave town. Two of my friends from different parts of the country live in council properties where its a perfectly nice place to live. Also as my mother says I could always try and get pregnant.
  • Options
    it may be worth remembering that councils will only house you in areas you have lived/have strong connections with usually. if they can tie you to another council and save themselves some money, they will.
  • Options
    I imagine if it came to it I might condiser trying to leave town. Two of my friends from different parts of the country live in council properties where its a perfectly nice place to live. Also as my mother says I could always try and get pregnant.

There's a serious risk with leaving town, as Summer Raindrops says.

As for the comment about pregnancy, I really hope you're joking. It's not true that being pregnant stops you from being homeless (I've known of councils making people wait until the baby is born, for example), you can't magic a property from thin air if they're all full.
  • Options
    They can just 'house' you in a bed and breakfast once the child has been born too, a kind of hell.
  • Options
    The thing is I looked into houseshares when I first moved home and they are very rare. Its an area where its mostly families and middle aged professionals. Not the type to live in shared houses.

Some will rent out rooms though, we considered it at one point but decided against it as we only have 2 rooms and 1 bath.
  • Options
    This is all interesting. It frustrates me that I work full time and I work damn hard and yet its not enough for me to be independent of my parents. It bugs me when people say ignorant things like "you're an adult why are you living at home?". I guess this is what leads me to consider hypothetical situations.

As for getting pregnant, if I thought it would help my situation I'd do it. Come on most people would do anything to survive.
  • Options
    Well, get married?
  • Options
    To who?
  • Options
    This is all interesting. It frustrates me that I work full time and I work damn hard and yet its not enough for me to be independent of my parents. It bugs me when people say ignorant things like "you're an adult why are you living at home?". I guess this is what leads me to consider hypothetical situations.

Are you able to save up and then move out in a few years or so?
    As for getting pregnant, if I thought it would help my situation I'd do it. Come on most people would do anything to survive.

How would it help? You'd then have to work and have a baby to look after.
  • Options
    Also as my mother says I could always try and get pregnant.

Don't believe everything you read in the tabloids. It really isn't as simple as that and single mothers don't get all the freebie that the media would have you think that they do.
  • Options
    Nah I'd just breed some more with half a dozen different fathers, get offered a 6-bed mansion, have a "benefit scrounger" article in the Daily Mail then go on the Jeremy Kyle show. :razz:

I don't know if I will ever save up enough to move out. The cost of moving out is not a one off payment and I doubt I will ever be able to save up enough to make up the gap between my wages and the cost of living. My only hope is that I will one day get a better paid job or an ok job in a more reasonably priced part of the country. Not impossible but seems unlikely.

It bugs me that I always worked hard at school, did everything people told me and am working hard in a job and yet I'm in the same positon as all those people who couldn't and still cant be bothered. Now I'm starting to see why they cant be bothered.
  • Options
    To who?

I dunno, don't think single people can afford their own places at the moment, a shared house is most likely in your hypothetical situation.
  • Options
    But as I've already said, its not a studenty area so shared houses don't really exist. Advertising for lodgings might work but its not a guarantee.
  • Options
    Good job it's only hypothetical then really, or you might be a bit fucked.