Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Considering pill / injection - advice please?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ever since I started my periods, (so, about 9/10 years now) I've had very painful periods. Including a few episodes of sickness (this has stopped, thankfully) and not being able to move. The pain generally last for about a day or two.

Now, having looked on Net Doctor, (I think someone mentioned it to me on here too) I am seriously considering either the pill or injection.

I have a few questions about this:
- Apparently, I can either see my GP or go to the family planning clinic.Which is the better one to go to?
- For anyone whose had either or any other contraception, which helped most with painful periods? Ideally, I would like to stop them completely - however, it's not something that mus happen. Just something I would prefer.
- I have a habit of forgetting to take medication - is this really a problem with the pill? I am not planning on having sex any time soon - so no issues with pregnancy.

Comments

• Options
    I would go to my GP and try pill before injection to see how your body reacts to it. The mini pill makes me bleed constantly, and so does the inection, which you can't take back once you've been jabbed- you just have to wait for it to wear off.
  • Options
    :yes: I agree with katralla.

The mini pill, the injection and the implant are all basically the same hormone in differing doses. I'm on the mini pill right now which is agreeing with me slightly better than the injection did (yeeeeeeeeah ten week period), although I did have a two and a half week period for my first one (haven't had the second yet, due...nowish). While the periods were long, though, they weren't heavy and they weren't as painful as they are when I'm not on anything. My last period, I got a little bit of pain but not hunched-over-need-to-stay-in-bed pain like I usually get.

Your best bet is to try the mini pill because, as katralla says, you can stop that immediately if you get side effects, whereas with the injection, if it disagrees with you you have it in your system for several weeks.
  • Options
    Thanks you two. I read on Brook that there are issues with sickness / diarrhoea and the pill. Is that only with protecting against pregnancy? Or would it also cause problems with period pains? The former is no issue at all with me.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Thanks you two. I read on Brook that there are issues with sickness / diarrhoea and the pill. Is that only with protecting against pregnancy? Or would it also cause problems with period pains? The former is no issue at all with me.

Yeah, it's just for pregnancy, really. The pill might not be absorbed as well if you've ill, but enough should still get in to keep your periods under control.

If you have really bad sickness over a few days you might end up getting a little bit of spotting, but it shouldn't be painful :)
  • Options
    Your best bet is probably going to talk to your GP. If painful periods are the only reason you're thinking of it then there are certain prescription painkillers that work much better than over the counter ones.
  • Options
    I've had terrible problems with pills - sickness, insomnia, inexplicable bouts of horrific depression and worst of all, it made my terrible periods even worse. I got the implant 6 months ago, and although I had spotted bleeding for the first few months, I now have no periods, no pain, and don't have to think about contraception for another two years :D