Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How to be less slagy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
... but still look good.

Having spent hours speaking to the ex boyfriend, who I want back rather badly, I've promised him I'm going to change if he takes me back. It's not just him I want to change for though, I want to feel better about myself... but the thing is, I only feel good when I'm wearing a ton of make up and a low cut top and a tiny skirt. I need to get those looks and comments from men, they keep my confidence up.
But when I'm wearing less makeup, and more "suitible" clothes, I don't get that attention from guys, and I feel crap :(

I spend hours and hours in front of the mirror, it takes me an hour and a half at least to get ready for school. I'll get to school and put more makeup on, then more during my lessons, and at breaks... I guess I'm a bit addicted? I just want to know if there's anyway I'll still be able to feel good, but look less like a sket and more like.. a nice girl? x

Comments

• Options
    Sweetie, you don't need makeup. You are beautiful. If you feel you need to wear something, a bit of powder and some mascara to bring out your eyes is all you need.

The boys that give you attention aren't looking at you, they're looking at your boobs and your arse and to them you aren't a person, you are a thing. You can get just as much, and better, attention by wearing some well-fitting jeans and t-shirts and some simple, clean, natural makeup.
  • Options
    Magic rule number one.

It's legs OR cleavage.
  • Options
    Magic rule number two.

Less is more, darling, less is more. Both flesh and make up.

What you need to wear are clothes that fit. If you're curvy avoid those horrific baggy t-shirt dress things and don't treat leggings as the same as trousers. You might want to look at empire-line dresses if you have big bongos and a bit of a tummy, they show off plenty of lovely cleavage without making you look like a floozy.

As for the attention, you don't want attention from the sort of boys who only holler comments at girls with their arse hanging out. You want attention from more normal men, the ones who'll be a bit more subtle about eyeing you up as you walk past. And trust me, more men will eye you up if you're not done up like a dog's breakfast.
  • Options
    Attention when tarted up is never good attention. The good attention you get when you're looking normal is less frequent but much better when you do get it.
    Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again...you don't need to base your happiness on men, be it boyfriend or random douche bags in the street. Just be natural and you and you'll be appreciated for who you really are.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    you don't need to base your happiness on men, be it boyfriend or random douche bags in the street. Just be natural and you and you'll be appreciated for who you really are.

:yes:

Even if you dont get any looks or comments it doesnt mean you are worthless.
  • Options
    You know, its entirely possible to dress nicely but not "slaggy". There is a lot of scope between skank and frump.
  • Options
    just do what the victorian ladys did and show a bit of ankle to drive the men mental, I mean it works for me :p

Just because you don't dress like a "slag" doesn't mean that you aren't beautiful, you are :)
  • Options
    Thanks guys :) I know the attention I get isn't nice... but I just thrive off it I guess.
    As for clothes, it's not so bad for school because I wear skinny jeans. But at weekends that means I then have no trousers to wear... so I'm stuck with shorts or skirts. And all my tops are low cut as other tops just don't suit me at all :lol: My mum wont buy me any new clothes either, and I don't have any money... so I'm a bit stuck.
  • Options
    Wear jeans at the weekend
  • Options
    Wear jeans at the weekend

They get washed, i only have one pair and I wear them all week to school
  • Options
    They get washed, i only have one pair and I wear them all week to school

you don't have school uniform?
  • Options
    you don't have school uniform?

Yeaa we have school jumpers, but all the girls either wear miss sexy or skinny jeans. But it's nearly summer so I'm guessing everyone will start wearing high wasted skirts again, and I have plenty of those :lol:
  • Options
    Yeaa we have school jumpers, but all the girls either wear miss sexy or skinny jeans. But it's nearly summer so I'm guessing everyone will start wearing high wasted skirts again, and I have plenty of those :lol:

Can you not ask your dad for some money for clothes? Or even if your mum won't give you money, ask her to go shopping with you for another pair of jeans or two?

(btw, I read high waisted skirts as 'getting high and wasted', and got really confused as to what that had to do with how you dress and stuff!)
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    Can you not ask your dad for some money for clothes? Or even if your mum won't give you money, ask her to go shopping with you for another pair of jeans or two?

(btw, I read high waisted skirts as 'getting high and wasted', and got really confused as to what that had to do with how you dress and stuff!)

See, she wont buy me any more because I have a pair of school trousers. But they are icky, and I'd get bullied for wearing them (and don't say I wouldn't, because believe me I would.)... It's my birthday in april though, so I'll get money then and will get more jeans. Oh, and Dad wont buy me things as he "already gives my mum enough money towards me" :yeees:
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure you can buy plain black smart trousers in asda/tesco etc for a few quid. I get them for work. We all wore them at school too.
  • Options
    Miss Sexy are about a tenner, they are like these really tight trousers, and tbh if you wear any thing different from them or skinny jeans you just get ripped apart :/
  • Options
    Could you not wash your jeans on say Thursday night, so they'd be clean for the weekend?
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    Could you not wash your jeans on say Thursday night, so they'd be clean for the weekend?

I'll ask, but my mum only does a wash once a week, on a sunday.
    Ahh well, I guess I'll just wear dirty jeans :L Better than nothing
  • Options
    Miss Sexy are about a tenner, they are like these really tight trousers, and tbh if you wear any thing different from them or skinny jeans you just get ripped apart :/

It shouldn't take you long to get a tenner and buy your own. Can you get money for chores? Or get a paper round?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    It shouldn't take you long to get a tenner and buy your own. Can you get money for chores? Or get a paper round?

Naa, cos mum pays for my phone bill. I'll ask my uncle, he's like my personal bank :lol:
  • Options

Wow and I thought school was superficial when I was there a few years ago. We weren't allowed to wear jeans, we had to wear trousers.
  • Options
    Wow and I thought school was superficial when I was there a few years ago. We weren't allowed to wear jeans, we had to wear trousers.

They try to make us wear trousers... but because there are so many of us, I think they've just given up now. For a few weeks last year they'd send you home to get changed, but no body ever went back afterwards :L