Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

London

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    I get that drug abuse happens everywhere, but I've never seen that kind of thing where I live before. Surely there are better places to go and shoot up, not a single, disabled toilet that has to be opened by the staff in a McDonald's late at night.

Yeah, hospital toilets usually.

All McD need to do is install the right lighting and they can stop this pretty easily
    I live in london i've lived here all my life and i love it- but i am incredibly lucky to live in a nice area and though my house isn't massive i know that i could move to a slightly less nice area to a bigger house - but i would love a bigger garden and a fourth bedroom both of which require about a million pounds i don't have to stay in the area where i currently live - which is crap.

However i even love commuting so maybe i'm weird.........
    I was bought up in Ealing, but i now find West London too busy and ughh, i've fallen in love with East- Whitechapel, Stepney, Mile End, Limehouse, Shadwell, Greenwich, Isle of Dogs etc. I love the fact there are huge areas that are practically deserted on the weekends, and the urban/industrial feel of the place.
    i love london, rightly or wrongly i feel suspicious of people who say they outrightly hate it.

it makes me think that some people like to feel like they are the big fish in their very tiny and very boring pond. not aimed at anyone here, i just wanted to throw my big ugly assumption out there :thumb:

was walking along by southbank yesterday after my interview, amazing. got really drawn to the cotton centre, whatever that is. i googled it when i got home. plus as i found out you can have a laugh and act like a complete goon in london and it's okay because you retain some sort of anonomity (SP??)

ha :)
    i bloody love london and i desperately want to live there at some point, even if it's not for long, just so that i can say that i did.

i like that everything is reachable and that there are tubes every few minutes, as opposed to waiting half an hour for a bus to get anywhere here, and the journey taking forever and a day. i like that it's so vibrant and exciting. i like that you can look at some of the key landmarks of this country whenever you like. and i like that you can go to places full of tourists, turn a corner and find a quiet spot. and i like that it's like lots of little town centres in one big city.

there's always something to do in london. if people come to see me in birmingham i'm a bit stuck about what we can go and do or see, whereas in london you have so much choice. and loads of shops have their flagship there ;)

i totally get that london must feel lonely, especially if someone lives alone. but i think if you are lonely, you'll feel lonely wherever you are. in somewhere so big you must feel sometimes like you are so tiny and insignificant, and it's pretty unlikely that you'll bump into someone you know in the street like you would somewhere smaller. but for me, that's exactly what i want.
    omg hi wrote: »
    i like that everything is reachable and that there are tubes every few minutes, as opposed to waiting half an hour for a bus to get anywhere here, and the journey taking forever and a day.

I agree. And unlike where I am now, there are buses at silly o'clock. (the ones in Plymouth start around 6am and finish around 11.30pm)

I also found that I could just jump on a tube / bus / whatever and there'd generally be something to do / somewhere to go within a few stops or so.
    The trouble with Leeds is, it thinks it's London. Hence all the crap that people dislike about London, they have it in Leeds but without the convienience of the tube network.
    I'm ranting now but seriously, I love where I live and hate London. I think I'm intoxicated :heart: :shocking:
    Harrow is miles out and is going to be annoying to get anywhere - I lived on the edge of london and hated it growing up but I love love love living closer to the centre.

But I am incredibly lucky to live where i do.
    I don't think there are many cities that I would rather live in than Newcastle, truth be told. There's plenty going on up here, we have some brilliant art galleries and museums and concert venues, public transport is pretty good (although a few more nightbuses and a later last Metro wouldn't go amiss) and there's a genuine big important city feel about the place. Mobile phones even work on our underground train network because they put mobile relays in.

But then I go to the market and the butcher recognises me, and the cheese man recognises me, and the greengrocer recognises me, and I bump into friends in the street. It's a short walk out of the city into massive green parks and a short drive or bus ride out into proper countryside with castles and beaches and little old man pubs.

That said, if I had the money to live somewhere nice, I really could see the appeal of living in London. The problem is that I don't have the money to live somewhere nice and I'm unlikely to ever have the money to live somewhere nice in London. I couldn't afford what I have here, which is the problem.
    IBut then I go to the market and the butcher recognises me, and the cheese man recognises me, and the greengrocer recognises me, and I bump into friends in the street.

Yeah I get this in London, within the community I live (Kentish Town). It's not as if London is one massive place where people move around at Random never seeing the same face twice - you live within smaller communities around different areas of London. We have local shops where they recognise me and stuff like you would have living somewhere smaller.
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I couldn't live anywhere else.
    What am I missing, what's so good about living in London?
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    My dad said London is a very bad place. But I have lodes of family over there so go on a 8 hour journey every once a week x
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I used to dream of living in London, now I hate the idea. It's dirty, I guess I feel bored of it. It's expensive and crowded. I don't find it homely, despite knowing some lovely places there.
    katralla wrote: »
    What am I missing, what's so good about living in London?

this.

My brother goes to uni in London. Driving there is awful. Parking there is awful. It's expensive, noisy and dirty and I end up obsessing about how dirty and unhygienic everything is.

But I'm not a big city fan :p
    ella! wrote: »
    this.

My brother goes to uni in London. Driving there is awful. Parking there is awful. It's expensive, noisy and dirty and I end up obsessing about how dirty and unhygienic everything is.

But I'm not a big city fan :p

Whilst rent may be higher, it's not really that much more expensive.