Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Washable/Reusable/"Real" nappies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone else use them?

Madam has jst outgrown her size 1's and I am after suggestions/recommendations for size 2's before I purchase.

For her size 1's we used a mixture of terry towelling squares, Mio Bambinos, Motherease wraps and Eccobot bamboo nappies and fleece wraps.

Comments

• Options
    i used them on all of my babies, for at least some time. Exclusively on my eldest, and for a little while on the other two (but couldnt keep up with the washing when i had 2 in nappies at the same time)

My favourite were always tots bots. Nippa version. Motherease wraps

do you have a tumble dryer?
  • Options
    Just sent the wife this way, she knows more about cloth than what I consider healthy
  • Options
    if you have a tumble dryer, then you have more options.
    If you dont, then i would use a microfible nappy, such as totsbots fluffles. They dry super quickly and are gorgeous and fluffy. A bit more bulky though, but i never minded that
  • Options
    oh, it seems fluffles have been discontinued for some reason
  • Options
    right. Is she a heavy wetter? Does she do runny poos? have you got a tumble dryer? Theyre the main questions
  • Options
    I use eBay cheapies with Little Lamb bamboo inserts and I swear by them.
    The nappies are £40 for 10 and come with a microfibre insert. The LL boosters are £12 for 10.

Here's the link for the nappies - Here

They are from china but they come pretty quick. You can get them here from the UK for a little bit more. http://www.tinynippers.co.uk/
  • Options
    i could never get on with AIOs, I found they didnt contain well at the legs with only one layer of defence against runny shit, and take longer to dry. Some people do swear by them though, and men tend to like them cos ive never met a man who could cope with two piece nappies

That is a very good price though
  • Options
    My mind is completely boggling.

I don't think I knew that anyone really used non disposable nappies. For some weird reason I'm now really interested.

(and off to try and work out how on earth a two piece nappy works).
  • Options
    I used disposables, seemed much more convenient as I hate doing laundry as it is. Then, some people go in for that ironing malarky too- there's nowt queerer than folk.
  • Options
    Ironing nappies?!

Surely you'd only iron ones you thought really needed the heat blast to kill off germs?
  • Options
    a two piece nappy is just the modern day equivalent of the old terry squares and plastic pants.

Instead of terry squares (which still have their place) There are fitted shaped cloth nappies which are elasticated at the legs and waist and do up with either velcro, poppers, or a little device called a nippa.
    You put a liner inside the nappy to keep baby dry and to collect the shit, which you can then just flush away.
    You then put a wrap over the top. These are waterproof but breathable and are usually in funky colours and patterns. They do up with velcro or poppers too.

When dirty you just put them in a bucket. dry.
    With modern washing machines you dont need to soak the nappies. A wash at 60 and theyre clean and hygenic.

Theyre much much less of a faff than you might think.
    Im totally into lazy parenting and even i didnt find it hard, although i did use disposables if i was going out for more than a few hours
  • Options
    Cunning.

There's a whole exciting world I never knew about out there. This is making babies seem far more interesting.
  • Options
    Suzy - the title of the auction is actually confusing. They are pocket nappies so although there is still only one layer to catch poo I have never had a poosplosion with them and they dry super fast. The only bits that don't are the bamboo boosters, which i stick in the dryer.
  • Options
    ahhh, pocket nappies are better for sure, and are not too tricky for men and grandparents if you stuff them in advance
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote: »
    I use eBay cheapies with Little Lamb bamboo inserts and I swear by them.
    The nappies are £40 for 10 and come with a microfibre insert. The LL boosters are £12 for 10.

Here's the link for the nappies - Here

We wanted to use cloth nappies with Superbaby but couldn't afford the initial outlay and then the idea kinda got forgotten about. I don't know why I didn't think about looking on ebay! We haven't got a dryer, but have plenty of radiators to drape things around in the winter, and dry outside in warmer weather.

How many do you need? Do you change the whole nappy every time they need their bum doing, or just the inserts? How do they cope overnight? Are they quite bulky under clothes? I already need to shoehorn Superbaby into her trousers, and that's in disposables!

Sorry for the hijack :heart:
  • Options
    if you used those pocket nappies that lolz linked to, youd change the whole thing every change. If you use a two piece system, you just have to change the insert and you can re-use the wrap unless it gets really wet, stinky, or poo on it.
    The pocket nappies shouldnt be too bulky, but there are certain brands of trousers that dont fit cloth under, but plenty that do, and of course leggings and tights are fine.
    Some nappiers are bulkier than others.
    If you want to use them at night, youd bulk the nappy up to cope with it, or get a particularly absorbant nappy. I had different nappies for night than i did for during the day.

If you dont have a tumble dryer, id definitely go for microfibre rather than cotton, hemp or bamboo, because it dries more quickly, and also cotton nappies can go a bit crispy dried on a radiator, like towels can. Never seems to bother babies, especially if you use a fleece liner (fleece acts as a one way wetness barrier) but i always liked nappies to be soft.
    I would give these ones a go maybe Kaff
    http://www.littlelamb.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/MNP5
    Motherease wraps are the most leakproof by a country mile
    http://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/acatalog/details-05POPAFLO.html

and since its you Kaff, there are plenty of patterns floating around t'internet to make your own :)
  • Options
    I have about 15 and that just does us with a wash every second day. We have terries for emergencies. Probably 20 would be easier.
    At night I stuff them with a small size bambino mio prefold folded in thirds, a microfibre and a small LL bamboo booster at the front (because of the boy bits) but you would probably be fine with a couple of bamboo boosters if you have a dryer or microfibre if you don't.
    These ones aren't too bad under clothes. Nowhere near as bad as some I have used in the past. I love these trousers on Gabriel. Mega cute, non-restrictive and fit over cloth perfectly...Here

eBay is always my first port of call for anything! lol
  • Options
    To answer: she's not a massive wetter, her poos varies wildly between little rabbit pellets and explosive liquid, depending on how much milk she's had, and we don't have a tumble dryer. We mostly dry them on radiators in the winter and the washing line in the summer.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys :heart:

Just had a ponder about the internet and our local council does a real nappy scheme where you can get free starter packs, so going to try and get my hands on one and go from there!

If we get on with them will pick some more up, or consider making some! Also bookmarked a trouser pattern specially for cloth bummed babies (big butt baby pants - cute!).
    I love these trousers on Gabriel. Mega cute, non-restrictive and fit over cloth perfectly...Here

I've seen babies in them before! Wondered where they were from. Super adorable :D
  • Options
    oooh, what do you get in the starter pack? link?

thats how i got started, although my free starter pack with lenny was prefolds, so i was lucky to get on with them, as not everyone does.

I also got a starter pack with one of the others. I cant remember what was in it, but they werent brilliantly absorbant, but still useful for spares.
  • Options
    Link!

Going to opt for the Pop-In Dream Dri ones, I think. Done a bit of tinternet research and they seem to be good for us sans dryer types!

AR - have a look in your area, apparently most councils have these schemes, and Wakey includes all under twos, so Sod Baby still eligible. You could pick up a freebie or some cashback! :)
  • Options
    my main advice is to not just get one type of nappy.
    Get a few, because needs change, and also its quite fun having different types to choose from (believe it or not)
  • Options
    Newcastle City Council doesn't run the scheme IIRC. Might check again, though.
  • Options
    II love these trousers on Gabriel. Mega cute, non-restrictive and fit over cloth perfectly...Here

These are super adorably cute! :heart:
  • Options
    I'm a big lover of pocket nappies, i've used them on and off with both off mine so we've seen a good range of pee amounts and poo varieties over the past few years. All of them are birth to potty apart from the minki ones and i found the large was good from about 6months until 2years (i think it would probably even be ok for my three year old too)

I've used 5 different types:

- Wonderoos: hated them, they always wicked (thank god i only have the one)
    - Bum Genius: nice and slim, i didnt like the inserts so i used the old blueberry ones instead (microfibre and hemp)
    - Blueberry: my favourite, contains decent amounts of runny/explosive poo's and i can easily use the one size (microfibre and hemp) inserts as well as a bamboo booster. i have managed to use these overnight with the little one who is probably a medium wetter. (also rather slim)
    - Wee notions: very cute designs, very reliable and depending on how big the baby is you can sometimes get away with enough stuffing for overnight.
    - Minki's: Amazing night time nappy, even the slinki minki can be stuffed enough for Aisha overnight (big wetter), but i HATE their inserts.

Favourite inserts:

- Blueberry one-size hemp and microfibre
    - Wee notions: bamboo doublers/booster
    - Happy heiny: Large hemp stuffin (yes i know the name is stupid but thats some americans for you), these are great because its a huge hemp insert with a little pocket for a mini hemp insert which totals 5 or 6 layers and make up the main part of night time inserts and then i just put any microfibre insert on top.

I also use the mothercare disposable liners when i'm expecting poo's, mine generally poo on schedule so i dont bother with them for the rest of the day.

I also find these are a million times better if your baby gets sever nappy rash, if that's an issue for you a thin layer of vasogen dried with a cold hair drier and pop in a fleece liner. That was the only thing that cleared up my little ones nappy rashes.
  • Options
    had a nose on my local council website just for future reference as my experience of these was with one child over a year and i found them horrid. i didnt know that there was different types. our council dont do free trial ones, but they have a nappy library where u can borrow some for up to 10days to try.
  • Options
    My starter pack arrived today! Got 6 nappies, each with their own little waterproof bag, flushable liners and a bucket. What is missing is instructions, though! Obviously I think I can figure out how to put them on, but I'm a bit in the woods with the rest!

Thank god for google - stupid council.
  • Options
    which ones are they kaff. Have you got a link. Or what are they like? I can help
  • Options
    The bucket goes on the babies head.