Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Questions you didn't know you needed answering

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Melian wrote: »
    Who and why decided "see that sheep / goat / cow over there, I'm going to squeeze its udders and see what comes out"?
    Probably someone who thought about how human babies are fed, saw a sheep/goat/cow baby doing that and put two and two together. :p

Why do we have 5 fingers on each hand (and 5 toes on each foot) instead of 4 or 6?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Who first looked at a bee hive and thought "I bet those bastards are hiding something delicious in there"?
    What does an Occasional Table do for the rest of the time?

What on earth do Tescos do to their doors to make them all alarmed?

Do you think the owners of the Life Centre in Newcastle are genuine when they say "non-paying visitors" are welcome in their cafe?
    Why do you get "a pair of knickers" when there is only one ?
    Spliffie wrote: »
    We lose most heat through our heads I believe so it makes sense to have hair there to trap heat. As for pits and genitals specifically, I can't say, but hair in general keeps us warm. I'm hairy and don't like the heat during summer.

Fact, our bodies lose heat on the same levels all over our body. Our head is no different than say your arm. Our head/face/neck is just more sensitive to temperature change than other parts of your body, just like your fingers. Another interesting myth buster that I like telling people who complain of this, giving sugar to your children does not make them "over-hyperactive" and cause them to have "problems".

What I've always wondered, why are hornets lives so... crap? Their main role is to kill bees and steal their honey, just to feed their own species before their colony dies, that just steal and kill. It's so empty.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Who first looked at a bee hive and thought "I bet those bastards are hiding something delicious in there"?

MAybe the guy who saw a bear crack one open and eat a - to him - delicious cream.

What I wonder tho is. Potato plants are very poisonous, only the root tuber (the actual potato) is edible. Who the hell thought, "Well, this plant is poisonous, others died trying to eat it, but what the hell I will just eat the root tuber and see what happens."
    What I want to know... is what did people do before tampons?!
    What I want to know... is what did people do before tampons?!

Rags
    Rags

:yuck:
    Rags

:yes:

Hence 'rag week', 'on the rag'. But if it makes you feel better, in the old days people generally started periods a little later and had babies earlier, so you'd probably not have many periods before you had your first child, and cause contraceptive options were relatively thin on the ground you'd just keep having baby after baby, so not many periods through your adult life either, and there's a good chance you'd die in any of your childbirths, and if you didn't by the time you'd had 14 or 15 babies you'd probably just give in and die anyway.

Good times :thumb: :p
    :eek:
    I'm glad I don't live in the old days :lol:
    Kaff wrote: »
    :yes:

Hence 'rag week', 'on the rag'. But if it makes you feel better, in the old days people generally started periods a little later and had babies earlier, so you'd probably not have many periods before you had your first child, and cause contraceptive options were relatively thin on the ground you'd just keep having baby after baby, so not many periods through your adult life either, and there's a good chance you'd die in any of your childbirths, and if you didn't by the time you'd had 14 or 15 babies you'd probably just give in and die anyway.

Good times :thumb: :p
    Ah, Kaff, you put things so eloquently :D
    Probably someone who thought about how human babies are fed, saw a sheep/goat/cow baby doing that and put two and two together. :p

So, why doesn't any shop sell breast milk? Not that I want to try it, just curious.
    Why do we have 5 fingers on each hand (and 5 toes on each foot) instead of 4 or 6?

I do know someone who was born with 6 fingers on one hand.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    So, why doesn't any shop sell breast milk? Not that I want to try it, just curious.
    I imagine it's because it would be seen as taking advantage of people. Then again there's blood banks and sperm banks etc with volunteers, but on the other hand not as much is needed of these.

Because it's almost impossible to manufacture it in in industrial quantities. Just ask any woman who's tried to express breast milk.

You used to have "wet nurses" employed by rich mothers to breastfeed their babies, though.
    There are milk banks.

It's all on a donor basis, though, same as blood or organs. There would be ethical concerns with selling it.
    I didn't know that! That's a really good idea.

Who would actually buy breast milk though? It's no good in coffee, it's too watery and too sweet.
    I didn't know that! That's a really good idea.

Who would actually buy breast milk though? It's no good in coffee, it's too watery and too sweet.

well to feed your baby I would assume. Benefits for development and health 'n all that.
    It's no good in coffee, it's too watery and too sweet.

There's a voice of experience :eek:
    Nah. Well, not my experience anyway. The midwife told us.
    Depends what you've been eating, tbh :yes:
    Yeah, she said that too. Babies don't like it if you've had too much curry and beer the night before...
    this thread is awesome.
    There are milk bank things at hospital, there was some lady on the news who's baby had died who'd started a campain to get more people to donate breast milk.
    :yuck:

lol :thumb:
    Apparently, somewhere does sell breast milk ice cream - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12566827
    Apparently, somewhere does sell breast milk ice cream - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12566827

Ha, I heard that on the radio today while I was at my mum's. All the Radio 4 bods were freaking out. I chuckled.

Would probs make quite nice ice cream, tbh. It's lighter and sweeter than moo milk. Although for reasons already stated I'd want to put the lactating women on a limited diet! ;)
    Why do my orange carrots create green veg water? Why does the brown cow give white milk when she always eats green grass?
    What exactly happens to all the teaspoons in my house?
    Evenstar wrote: »
    What exactly happens to all the teaspoons in my house?

accidentally thrown in the bin instead of yoghurt pots? :D

used to do that a lot as a kid... and you don't really want to be seen fishing around in bins at school !