Home Politics & Debate
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Anyone is welcome to join. Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Would I be eligible for compensation?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot 🤖Posts: 8,656 Automated Account
I'm reluctant to persue this because of a few reasons.

basically a long story short is, during PE we were playing an outside ball game, indoors, and i ran into the wall and broke both my wrists. thinking about going for compensation but

this happened in 2005, not sure about if theres a certain time limit you have to persue a case, and it was kinda my fault, i didnt slip on any water or anything, i wasnt looking where i was going.

However ulimately it was their fault for playing an outside ball game indoors and they're responsible for my safety.

anyone have any opinions on this? is it too late? or wont i be eligible because it was partly my fault?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
«1

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You also have a level of responsibility too. What good is compensation going to do? It was 6 years ago - so can't imagine you getting anything now.

    If you (as you say) weren't looking where you were going, then I'd say it was your fault and not theirs.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    moonlift wrote: »
    i wasnt looking where i was going.


    You've just answered your own question. :yeees:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Apparently, there's a limit of 3 years to claim. I don't think you have a case, tbh.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    why would it be their fault if you ran into a wall?

    Are you saying that all walls should be signposted with the words "ATTENTION - WALL"
    Youre expected to notice things like walls around you.

    Plus it was 6 years ago.

    You wouldnt have a hope in hell, sorry
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    why would it be their fault if you ran into a wall?
    they're ulimately responsible for me?, and them taking the risk of playing an outside ball game, indoors..
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the wall needs to emit a high pitched squeel so that young people don't run into it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    moonlift wrote: »
    they're ulimately responsible for me?, and them taking the risk of playing an outside ball game, indoors..

    You also have personal responsibility too. You should be looking where you're going.

    They wouldn't make you play an outdoors game indoors without having first gone through a risk assessment.

    I've received various injuries (including two separate injuries in one PE session) and as far as I'm aware, it's not, and has never been the fault of the PE. (I'm just very clumsy)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    moonlift wrote: »
    they're ulimately responsible for me?, and them taking the risk of playing an outside ball game, indoors..

    What counts as an outside ball game? Football is regularly played indoors, for example. Cricket is too, albeit in a slightly different form. Unless the game in question was rugby, I don't think they have any responsibility.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I work for a solicitor and the time limit on personal injury claims is 3 years from the date of the incident.....

    Not sure about the legalities of playing football indoors (not a lawyer) but I suspect Suzy is right, unless there was something inherently dangerous about the hall you were playing in (puddles everywhere for example) I doubt you have a case.

    That said I am amazed at what some peopel do claim for! :eek:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    moonlift wrote: »
    they're ulimately responsible for me?, and them taking the risk of playing an outside ball game, indoors..


    So if you'd been playing that same game outside and had ended up with a broken leg, then what?

    I don't like getting into arguments with people, but your way of thinking is precisely what is wrong with this country. Nobody accepts responsibility for their own actions.

    From what you've told us, it's quite clearly your own fault, nobody elses.

    And as others have pointed out, the time limit for civil actions is 3 years, so you're out of luck anyway.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Nobody accepts responsibility for their own actions.

    Testify.... :d
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm sorry but i think the whole idea is laughable, you had an accident, accidents happen you just have to live with that i'm afraid.

    Its issues like this that have lead to children not being allowed to throw snowballs, skid on ice, play conkers or even god forbid running in the playground!!

    When i was at school i feel tripped over my shoe lace and cut my head open, is it really their fault for not checking my laces before i went out into the playgrond?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had a few accidents during PE but never felt the need to try and get compensation.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    moonlift wrote: »
    they're ulimately responsible for me?, and them taking the risk of playing an outside ball game, indoors..

    :|
    how old are you? Surely youre old enough to not need your hands held all the time to prevent you running into walls.

    Being responsible for a child, does not mean under normal every day circumstances its your fault if they get hurt.

    If your teacher pushed you into the wall, or told you to run into it, then it would be their fault, or if there was an unsigned oil spill nearby that caused you to fall into it, but not looking where you are going, and running into a wall is entirely your own fault.
    The judge would laugh at you
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Louisek wrote: »
    I'm sorry but i think the whole idea is laughable

    This. You ran into a fucking wall and want someone else to cough up. :rolleyes:

    Take some responsability for your actions.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    This. You ran into a fucking wall and want someone else to cough up. :rolleyes:

    Take some responsability for your actions.
    :yes: this.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :yes: this.

    This :yes:
    :razz:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Compensation is generally given to those people who are left out of pocket. Or as a result of a severe accident, need a lot of care and are unable to either work again or are very limited in what jobs they can do since the accident.

    Don't see how breaking both wrists falls into that?

    I've done a lot worse than breaking both wrists - yet, don't feel the need to sue anyone.

    I've played outdoor games inside and yes, I've hurt myself. However, I don't see how me hurting myself is anyone elses' fault.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have a cold. I think I caught it off my Dad.

    Can I sue him for my discomfort? He didn't quarantine himself or provide me with a NBC suit when I visited him...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have a cold. I think I caught it off my Dad.

    Can I sue him for my discomfort? He didn't quarantine himself or provide me with a NBC suit when I visited him...

    :lol: I would be one poor woman if someone sued me everytime I gave them my cold.

    Can I sue my parents for giving me some shitty genes?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    Don't see how breaking both wrists falls into that?

    Have you considered the possibility that he is a very active wanker.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They got back to me :P, they said I definately have a case.

    They take things into consideration ie how long i was off school, how it affected my grades, how i couldnt wash how it affected it mentally as i was going through puberty etc, was 12 or so at the time.

    thanks for the "friendly" feedback. assholes.


    think you guys are ignoring the fact they took a risk of playing an outside game in doors, which isnt very safe, way more chance of someone getting hurt.. and focusing more on "i ran into a wall, its their fault" over simplification. lol'd.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You ran into a wall, I hope you lose your spurious case.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This covers the statute of limitations as applied to PI claims.

    Generally though I suspect the verdict to be more like this:

    me_1418.jpg
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I generally know where walls are relative to my position in a room, even with my eyes closed. Running wouldn't be that hard to think of your position. Why were you running and not looking where you were going, surely you had a purpose to run that way, so you should have faced that way?

    What was the game? I can't really think of many games that can strictly be played outdoors.

    To be honest, I think they're just saying you have a case, because pretty much any company would... defiantly the case on those questions they asked you. They'll most likely dump you when you don't have enough of a foolproof case that they can't win and move onto the next sucker. People who really deserve compensation (like my dad) still haven't got a dime nearly 2 years after his claim - and he nearly lost both of his arms and lost his job as a result because of company negligence and health and safety breaches. He got some justice out of it, but nothing that would help our financial status right about now.

    I hate claims like yours. Litigation is this country is a joke.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    even lacrosse has an indoor version.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    moonlift wrote: »
    They got back to me :P, they said I definately have a case.

    They take things into consideration ie how long i was off school, how it affected my grades, how i couldnt wash how it affected it mentally as i was going through puberty etc, was 12 or so at the time.

    thanks for the "friendly" feedback. assholes.


    think you guys are ignoring the fact they took a risk of playing an outside game in doors, which isnt very safe, way more chance of someone getting hurt.. and focusing more on "i ran into a wall, its their fault" over simplification. lol'd.



    Of course they'll say you have a case, they're lawyers. But wether or not they say you have a case is irrelevant, it's your fault.

    We have all played outside games indoors and managed to do so without injuring ourselves, and unless your outdoor game happened to be target shooting or white water rafting I fail to see how it's relevant considering all games that are generally played outdoors are also played indoors.
    moonlift wrote:
    I'm reluctant to persue this because of a few reasons.

    basically a long story short is, during PE we were playing an outside ball game, indoors, and i ran into the wall and broke both my wrists. thinking about going for compensation but

    this happened in 2005, not sure about if theres a certain time limit you have to persue a case, and it was kinda my fault, i didnt slip on any water or anything, i wasnt looking where i was going.

    However ulimately it was their fault for playing an outside ball game indoors and they're responsible for my safety.

    anyone have any opinions on this? is it too late? or wont i be eligible because it was partly my fault?

    And if you're wondering why I've quoted you again, 2 reasons. Firstly to again point out that you've admitted liability, and secondly, if your case somehow makes the papers I'm sure I won't be the only one getting in touch with your old school and telling them you've admitted liability on a public forum. Quoting you just means you can't delete the evidence.:thumb:


    If you come onto a forum, ask us for our opinion then decide we're assholes for pointing out the truth, that your claim is spurious and a waste of time, so be it. I seriously hope you fail, and I hope you end up having to pay costs to a local education authority which is no doubt making staff redundant as we speak.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can hear the head of another support worker falling as I type, a support worker who would have been right nicely placed to go and tutor a pupil in there own home after they had accidently injured themselves during PE- shame.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm intrigued though, what's an outdoor game?

    I don't think I can think of any games that are exclusively outdoor ones. Someone care to enlighten me?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    moonlift wrote: »
    thanks for the "friendly" feedback. assholes.

    And fuck you too. Go run into a fucking wall 'asshole'
Sign In or Register to comment.