Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

mood swings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
okay.......so im having a stressful time at the moment i guess...

and i dont know how to handle it, in all honesty, but im doing my best, and im slowly getting better on the s/h front.

but ive been finding i have some serious mood swings.
Most of the time, still, i just feel really low, and thats when i find myself fighting the will to end it all.
But sometimes, i am, i think, happy... but then i seem to go incredibly insane, and i sort of lose control of myself... and i can never remember what was going through my mind or anything other than what i did...
At other times......im incredibly angry......and again i feel like i have little control over myself......i get these horrible thoughts in my mind..like yesterday for example, my sister was getting on my nerves slightly.. and she started screaming at me for some reason or another, and this thought to just smash my netbook over my head flew into my mind. I didnt, but i really fought against myself then, and my whole body was trembling, my arms especially.

and ill get each of these 'moods' around 3 or 4 times an hour.. im switching constantly..
I really dont get whats going on with me...... ive had small mood swings before, but never anything as major as this and ive always felt in control of myself..
any advice ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As with any changes in your mental health, particularly if you're struggling with depression, you should let your GP and other support workers know.

I get these sorts of mood swings quite a lot and have never really worked out how to control them, but I did have a course of CBT when I was younger that moderated them for a while.
    Meditation will help you motivate yourself and get rid of your mood swings. If the moon swings are due to physical changes like periods, menopause etc., you can wait till the body changes have happened. If you feel that mood swings are not due to physical changes, please practice meditation with proper training. Anti depressants may give you instant relief but may cause side effects. Relax and have confidence.
    where can i learn more about meditation??
    never really come across it, but did do yoga for a while once when i had 'body issues'
    Hi TryingtobeStrong :wave:

How are you today?
    As piccolo suggested did you managed to speak with any one about your mood swings?, there may be a pattern when they occur.

There are many websites on the internet for beginners on meditation or have you considered going back to yoga?

Keep us posted take care
    i have been thinking about strating yoga again, yes.

Ill have a look on google later for meditation stuff :)

today is a little better i suppose, the mood swings seem to stilll be there, but have noticed im a sort of happy where im calm and in control of myself around my boyf.
    I haven't really spoken to anyone, i tried to talk to my CPO before we broke up for half-term but no luck there really.
    Ill try again next week when we go back though.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    i have been thinking about strating yoga again, yes.

Ill have a look on google later for meditation stuff :)

today is a little better i suppose, the mood swings seem to stilll be there, but have noticed im a sort of happy where im calm and in control of myself around my boyf.
    I haven't really spoken to anyone, i tried to talk to my CPO before we broke up for half-term but no luck there really.
    Ill try again next week when we go back though.
    I am glad to here you are thinking about speaking to your CPO again. Sometimes exspecially in our teen years are emotions can go all over the place. Sometimes letting it all out is better than keeping it locked up all to yourself, there are many ways to let it alllllll out
    - Talk about it!
    - Take it out on a pillow
    - Doodle
    - Take it out on a sport!

You can ask your Dr about different types of medicatioon, how do you feel about that? Never donee Yoga before :chin: Is it one of those slow relaxing activities? As long as you enjoy it why not give it a shot!

Good Luck with talking to your CPO lodsa *hug*'s *hug* *hug*
    Seeing a doctor is a good idea but also make sure you are taking care of yourself. Things like getting enough sleep regularly and eating properly. I'm not saying those things alone will solve your problems but disordered sleeping and eating can make mood problems a lot worse. I have a friend who suffers from depression and anxiety and she has to be really careful in regards to these things as it can trigger her mood swings.
    Hi, I just joined the site to connect with people who may be experiencing some of the same issues that I am because it seems we are few and far between. I have been going through similar things and took notice to them about two years ago when I first sought help...that was a long ride in itself, just knowing where to begin.

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I remember going through the different moods...from affectionate with my gf at the time to irritated/depressed or just wanting to be away from everyone. I have noticed it is more stressful if I am forced to be around people, especially out in public where someone from my more successful past may recognize me which makes me feel extremely anxious/paranoid because I don't want people to see the wreck I have become compared to my past.

I would have my ups and downs. When I got to a certain level of depression something would kick in, like a "fight or flight" response and I would dramatically turn my situation around. Usually in the form of getting back well paying jobs in the field I worked in...problem with that is you can only do it so many times as you run out of excuses to tell potential employers on the other end of that interview why you only held your job for a few months and also explain why you haven't been working for X amount of time.

I don't know how old you are so I'm not sure if you can relate to the job thing. Basically anything that requires dedication or commitment and hold you accountable for anything go down the tubes once the "bad phase" starts kicking in. Friendships, relationships, jobs...anything of that nature is in extreme jeopardy and in order to try and hide it from people who have never seen you this way or wouldn't understand you have to try to remember what you were like before and put on a front as best you can so no one see's what's happening...but bottling it up also helps make things worse until eventually you stop caring all together and before long the job is gone, your friendships aren't as solid as they once were, relationships are horribly broken and you're left to stew comfortably alone in the mess until you snap out of it and are left with the aftermath of all that chaos...alone and set back worse off than before.

Is any of this hitting close to home with your personal experience?
    Hi LegionXY :wave:

This thread is from back in March so the original person that posted may not be looking at in anymore of things may have moved on for them. Always best to look out for the dates on a thread before you post.

If you'd like to start a new thread to talk about your experience of bipolar disorder than do go ahead but I'm going to close this one now :)
This discussion has been closed.